Kings interested in Lecavalier? Phaneuf to Atlanta or Philly? Messier the Rangers GM next season?
- Updated: January 31, 2010
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:
- Talk that Dion Phaneuf was offered in a package for Ilya Kovalchuk. The Flyers are also said to be interested in Phaneuf but they have cap issues and would have to send money back to the Flames or they would have to find someone else to take on a big salary player.
- Sean O’Donnell of the LA Kings could become available, and the Blackhawks have interest if they move Cam Barker.
- Could be the last season for Glen Sather as the GM of the Rangers. It still amazes me that he hasn’t been fired yet after years of making bad decisions. Mark Messier could take over as GM.
- The Oilers are finding it difficult to find a taker for Sheldon Souray and his $5.4 million cap hit. It won’t help that he hurt his wrist/hand in a fight with Jarome Iginla last night.
- The Canucks and Panthers could be looking at Hurricanes center Matt Cullen.
- Ken Campbell of The Hockey News: The LA Kings may be interested in Vinny Lecavalier, and they continue to be interested in Kovalchuk, but won’t bring in both. The Lightning reportedly asked for Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds, a prospect, and several draft picks. Atlanta asked for something similar for Kovalchuk.
- JP Hoornstra of the LA Daily News: The Ducks have locked up Jonas Hiller for 4 years and $18 million. He’ll get $4.5 million a season. The Ducks will continue to shop JS Giguere in hope that they can shed his $7 million price tag for next season.
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com: Aaron Ward’s days in Carolina could be coming to end. Boston is one team that could be interested in bringing him in.