Maple Leafs have other targets … Flames also interested in Savard? Cheechoo being bought out
- Updated: June 29, 2010
- David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail: The Calgary Flames may also be interested in trading for Marc Savard. The Maple Leafs are rumored to be looking at free agents Dan Hamhuis and Zbynek Michalek, possibly exploring a trade for Jeff Carter before they move on to Marc Savard. Michalek may be more interested in heading to Ottawa to play with his brother. The Flames will buy out Alex Kotalik, and will cost them $1 million against the cap the for the next 4 years. If the Leafs were to deal for Savard, it probably wouldn’t happen until next week. The Leafs did not qualify John Mitchell.
- TSN: Brian Burke was on the Fan 590 radio station yesterday. Fan 590 Audio. The Leafs have some trade options but none involve Marc Savard. They have 4 offers for Kaberle but one is “a joke”. They are not going to trade him for the best offer, but one that gives them what they need, a top 6 forward.
- Damien Cox via Twitter: “So funny there are actual news stories saying the Leafs aren’t talking to Boston about Marc Savard. Seriously folks? Cmon.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Ottawa Senators have place Jonathan Cheechoo on waivers, with the purpose of buying him out. Cheechoo would then be a salary cap hit of $1.165 million over the next 2 seasons. The Sens are still negotiating with Andy Sutton and Matt Cullen. They would also like to add a forward and a Dman. Shean Donovan may end up going to Europe.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins GM Ray Shero and Dan Hamhuis spoke directly but numbers weren’t discussed. Shero discussed why he’d be a good fit, what they have, and why they’d like to have him. He told Hamhuis that “if over the next day or so he wants to move forward with that – well, let’s talk.” Shero has the option of signing him to a long term deal. Gonchar is looking for a 3 year deal at no leass than $5 million.
- William DePaoli (InsidePittsburghSports.com) via Twitter: Colby Armstrong agent, Don Meehan, expects a stong market for his client, and is seeking a 4 year deal from a ‘hockey market’.
- Gare Joyce of ESPN (Insider registration): Joyce runs through this years draft class and when they may be in the NHL.
This year: Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Erik Gudbranson, Nino Niederreither, Mikael Granlund.
Second rounders that could make it this year: John McFarland, Alexander Petrovic, Jared Knight and Ryan Spooner.
Maybe this year: Brett Connolly, Jeff Skinner
Next year: Ryan Johansen, Alexander Burmistrov, Cam Fowler, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Dylan McIlrath
2012-13: Brandon Gormley, Jaden Schwartz, Vladimir Tarsenk, Joey Hishon, Beau Bennett, Quinton Howden, Austin Watson,
2013 and beyond: Jack Campbell, Derek Forbort, Nick Bjugstad, Riley Sheahan, Jarred Tinordi, Mark Pysyk, Kevin Hayes, Mark Visentin, Charlie Coyle, Emerson Etem, and Brock Nelson.
← Previous Story Qualifying offers and other Free Agency Rumors