Setoguchi getting a 1 year deal … Caps interested in Niemi? Stars and Neal waiting it out
- Updated: July 30, 2010
- Craig Custance of the Sporting News: The San Jose Sharks and Devin Setoguchi could be closing in on a 1-year deal, which could be done in the next week. They are also starting talks with Joe Thornton on an extension.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: The Dallas Stars and James Neal still haven’t been able to reach an agreement, both are playing the waiting game. The Stars could be looking for a 2 year deal in the $2.5 million range, with Neal wanting more. Possible comparables in Tomas Fleishmann and Mason Raymond signed in that range. Other RFA that could be used as comparables are Bobby Ryan, Devin Setoguchi, Chris Stewart and Patric Hornqvist.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Reading between the lines to Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman comments, other teams may be looking into Antti Niemi’s availability.
- NHL Sources Say via twitter: If the Blackhawks don’t like Antti Niemi’s ruling and he becomes available, the Capitals could be interested.
- Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersberg Times: The Tampa Bay Lightning have 7 defenseman under contract, and GM Steve Yzerman could be looking for 1 more. Yzerman would like to bring Paul Ranger back, but Ranger is not ready to make a decision at this time. Ranger missed most of last season due to personal reasons.
- Craig Custance via twitter: The Atlanta Thrashers still have some interest in bringing Maxim Afinogenov back, though negotiations may not be that active.