Selanne not with Ducks yet … Ducks and Kariya talking? … Some Wild talk
- Updated: August 7, 2010
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Maxim Afingenov had offers from 3 NHL teams, but chose the KHL because of the contract length.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: The deal hasn’t been finalized for Chris Chelios to take a front office position with the Red Wings. He also has a similar offer from the Blackhawks, and possibly a “huge KHL offer”.
- Curtis Zupke of the OC Register: Reports that Teemu Selanne has signed with the Anaheim Ducks are a little premature. He’s close to a desicion, but nothing official yet. Selanne is pitching the Ducks and Paul Kariya for another reunion. “I’ve talked to Paul and the Ducks,” Selanne told the publication. “Paul has been waiting for my decision and I hope things move forward.”
- Helene Elliot via twitter: The Anaheim Ducks could be interested in Paul Kariya at right price.
- NHL Sources Say via twitter: Ducks set to talk with Kariya, possibly next week.
- Brannan Klak (NHLRumors) via twitter: Ducks to talk to Kariya yesterday and Ruslan Salei on Monday.
- Robert Tychkowski of the Edmonton Sun: According to Oilers assistant GM, Rick Olczyk, the rumors are false that they are looking for a loophole to get out of Nikolai Khabibulin’s contract. The signing of Martin Gerber had nothing to do with the possibility that Khabibulin could be sentenced to prison, “It had nothing at all to do with that,” Olczyk said of Khabibulin’s impending trial on extreme DUI charges in Scottsdale. “He had a tremendous year in the KHL and we needed to fill a void. We felt it was the right move and the right player at this particular point in time. It has nothing at all, and I’d like to stress that, it has nothing to do with Khabby.”
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Russo’s initial thought after the Wild signed John Madden was that it was the end of James Sheppard, but maybe not according to GM Fletcher, “Not necessarily at all. The performance of players in training camp will determine what we do.” Pierre-Marc Bouchard will start skating soon in Montreal. Fletcher doens’t much else happening for the Wild this offseason, he not actively pursuing anything.
- Ansar Khan of Mlive: The Red Wings are one of six teams interested in Willie Mitchell, but that number could shrink when dollars are discussed according to Mitchell’s agent.