Thornton-Sharks talking extension … On why Kovalchuk deal should be accepted … Devils moving Zajac?
- Updated: August 30, 2010
- Mark Emmons of the San Jose Mercury News: Joe Thornton is having preliminary talks with the San Jose Sharks about a contract extension. The 31-year old Thornton will be a UFA at seasons end. Thornton has a cap hit of $7.2 million this season according to capgeek.com.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: On why the new Kovalchuk deal should get approved. Rejected deal had $2.75 million over the last 5 years. New deal, $10 million over the last 5 years.
- Mark Everson of the NY Post: Rumors are out there that Travis Zajac could be one of the players the New Jersey Devils move to make room for Ilya Kovalchuk. The Devils could be looking to move Bryce Salvador and Dainius Zubrus. The 25-year old Zajac is the teams number 1 center, and has a cap hit of $3.89 million for the next 3 years. Zajac had 25 goals and totalled 67 last year.
- Mike Hume of ESPN: Trading Zajac would be a serious hit to the Devils. Jason Arnott would then be the teams top center. Zajac could bring back a decent return in prospects and/or draft picks. The Washington Capitals have been looking for a 2nd line center and have a deep farm system. 2009 draft pick, Jacob Josefson, would be a possible internal replacement.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Sources are telling Murphy that nothing will most likely come from the Marc Savard contract investigations. The investigation is hampering trade talks.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Murphy thinks that the Edmonton Oilers should throw an offer sheet to Carey Price.
- Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News: Kirk Maltby’s agent said they are negotiating with the Detroit Red Wings, and that a deal could be finalized this week. The deal will most likely be a 2-way deal. Maltby did talk with other teams, including the Tampa Bay Lightning.