Scenarios for Souray … Teams calling about Greiss? Seguin back to center? Varlamov not a #1 lock?
- Updated: September 29, 2010
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers are not really interested in sending Sheldon Souray to their AHL club in Oklahoma City. GM Steve Tambellini said that waivers are an option, but would rather make a trade that would help the Oilers. If they don’t trade him by October 6th, they could put him on the roster, taking the $5.4 cap hit, but would have to drop a defenseman, one who may have to go through waivers. The AHL is an option but they don’t want to go there yet. The Islanders may not want to spend the money. The Avalanche may be looking at Jamie Langenbrunner to get over the cap floor. Columbus is the best bet.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Several teams have called the San Jose Sharks about their goaltending situation. They have 3 capable NHL goalies, with Thomas Greiss the likely target, possibly Minnesota as one of the teams.
- Scott Cullen via twitter: Semyon Varlamov is not entrenched as the number 1 goalie in Washington, Michal Nuervith could be at one point.
- James Murphy of ESPN Boston: Tyler Seguin has been playing on the wing along side Patrice Bergeron and Mark Recchi. Coach Claude Julien said on Monday that he likes the idea of having Seguin play center while Marc Savard is out. Blake Wheeler could also be an option at center. Zach Hamill, Joe Colborne and Jordan Caron are also getting a look at center.
“To be honest with you, I’d still like to see Tyler Seguin [at center] again, seeing now that he’s got a few games under his belt,” Julien said. “He handles it in the middle. I’d still like to see Blake Wheeler play center as well at some point and see if he can recapture his comfort zone that he had when he played that position when he was in school.”
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Matt Beleskey will start the season on the top line in Anaheim with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Ducks defenseman Toni Lydman won’t be ready for the start of the season, and could be out for a lengthy period. Lydman experienced double vision a couple weeks ago, and the cause of the episode has yet to be found.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Jeff Deslauriers and Devan Dubnyk are battling each other to back up Nikolai Khabibulin in Edmonton. The Oilers haven’t hinted at who has the upper hand, but Dubnyk may get the nod as Deslauriers could draw more interest on the trade market. Deslauriers is on a 1 year deal at $1.05 million, Dubnyk signed a 2 year deal. GM Steve Tambellini wouldn’t say if he’s talked to Wild GM Chuck Fletcher or not, the Wild may prefer to get Deslauriers off waivers.
- Brian Compton via twitter: With Kyle Okposo injury, Compton wonders if Nino Niederreiter will stick with the Islanders or be sent back to junior after 9 games, therefore not burning a year on his contract.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Manny Legace, who has been skating with the Islanders to stay in shape, is receiving some interest from the Minnesota Wild.
- Genadi Boguslavski via twitter: Marek Svatos will earn a $1 million the KHL this season.