Kadri will be sent down to the Marlies … Ryan back on LW … O’Brien odd man out? Fowler makes Ducks, for now?
- Updated: October 1, 2010
- David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail: According to Shoalts, the Toronto Maple Leafs made the decision awhile ago that Nazem Kadri will be heading to the Marlies. Kadri’s 3 point night against the Senators didn’t change anything, nor would a solid effort tonight. Kadri has been outplayed by Tyler Bozak and Mikhail Grabovsky, and is not suited for the 3rd line roll. Tim Brent holds the upper hand over John Mitchell for the 3rd line center position, with Christian Hanson locked in on the 4th line.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: By the end of the weekend, the Maple Leafs roster will be down to 23. Kadri looks to be in for an AHL-NHL season.
- Jonas Siegel of AM640 Toronto: Jonas Gustavsson was back at practice yesterday after leaving Tuesday’s practice with a minor groin issue.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Columbus GM Scott Howson and Oilers GM Steve Tambellini haven’t talked since a week before training camp started. Portzline still thinks something could happen as the roster deadline gets closer.
- Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun: Shane O’Brien will make $1.6 million this season, and because Andrew Alberts will $1.05 million, he may get the nod over O’Brien. The Vancouver Canucks are $3 million over the cap, and if they decide to carry 7 defenseman, one will be on the move. When Sami Salo returns mid way through the season, another D will have to be moved. O’Brien, Alberts and Aaron Rome are battling for 6th spot. Rome makes $750,000, so most likely isn’t going anywhere. Coach Vigneault complimented Alberts play so far, and was luke warm towards O’Brien.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said that they are still unsure if they will carry 21 or 22 players to start the season (23 is the max).
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Mikael Samuelsson will start the season along side the Sedin’s while Alex Burrows is out.
- Curtis Zupke of the OC Register: The Bobby Ryan experiment at center may be over as coach Randy Carlyle had him back on left wing with Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne yesterday at practice. For the time being he’ll play on the left side.
- Curtis Zupke of the OC Register: After waiving 2 more defenseman yesterday, the Anaheim Ducks are down to 7 healthy defenseman. So it appears, for at least the time being, that 2010 1st round draft pick Cam Fowler will start the year with the team. It looks like he’ll be with the team for at least the first 9 games of the season.
- Michael Russo via twitter: If the Minnesota Wild put in a claim on Martin Gerber (will know today), he’ll earn $500,000 in the NHL, $200,000 in the AHL and a $15,000 claiming fee.
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: Andres Lilja is making the trip with the San Jose Sharks to Europe, but is still on a pro try out.
- QMI Agency, Toronto Sun: Quebec City is moving ahead with their $400 million arena project, despite only have commitment for 55% of the funding. The Federal government haven’t said yet if they’ll contribute the remaining 45%.