D-Day for the Devils, 3pm Wednesday … Ottawa makes final cuts … Cammalleri hearing today
- Updated: October 4, 2010
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: The New Jersey Devils have until 3 pm on Wednesday to get under the $59.4 million salary cap ceiling. Bryce Salvador ($2.9 million) and Anssi Salmela ($612,500) will be put on LTIR (Salvador was a likely candidate to be moved, but it can’t happen now that he’s injured). Lou will most likely have to trade or waive at least one player, with Dainius Zubrus and Colin White the leading candidates. Zubrus is a $3.4 million cap hit and is without a no-trade clause. White is a $3 million cap hit with a no-trade, but they could send him to the AHL. White’s best days are behind him, he’s not the physical player he once was, and a bad eye doesn’t really allow him to drop the gloves anymore.
- EJ Hradek via twitter: Hradek would be ‘SHOCKED’ if the New Jersey Devils traded Travis Zajac, though anything is possible. I think if the Devils felt they had to traded him, it would be part of a bigger package, sending out other salary and bringing in a puck moving defenseman.
- Colin Stephenson of the Star-Ledger: The Devils are about $2 million over the cap, with 28 players (including Salvador and Salmela) still in camp. The players are trying to downplay the teams cap situation, “Right now we’re not thinking about that,” Zach Parise said of the prospect of the Devils having to move a high-salaried veteran or two to get cap-compliant. “We know it’s going to happen. Everyone’s been talking about it for two-and-a-half months now, so we’re prepared for it. We know it’s going to happen. But everyone’s still in good spirits; everyone’s fine.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Ottawa Senators have made their final cuts. Jared Cowen was sent back to junior. Heading to Binghamton of the AHL are: G Robin Lehner, D Patrick Wiercioch, C Bobby Butler, Cody Bass, Ryan Keller, Corey Locke, Francis Lessard and Derek Smith.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Mike Cammalleri’s disciplinary hearing is set for today.
- EJ Hradek via twitter: Hradek thinks the Penguins will fill from within when it comes to Jordan Staal’s extended absence from the lineup.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: The Colorado Avalanche have just squeaked salary cap floor. The Avalanche don’t have to put Peter Mueller on LTIR, therefore keeping his $2 million on the books.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: If the Toronto Maple Leafs send Matt Lashoff to the minors, they’ll basically be under the salary cap. Larger cap space won’t occur until (if) Jeff Finger is put on waivers.
- Genadi Boguslavski via twitter: Former New York Ranger Enver Lisin has signed a 2 year deal in the KHL.