Ondrej Pavelec talks with AJC … Thornton-Sharks talking extension … Chara contract breakdown … Injury notes from last night
- Updated: October 10, 2010
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: (exclusive interview with Ondrej Pavelec) After Atlanta Thrashers goalie Pavelec awoke in the ambulance after collapsing 2:25 minutes into Friday game with no feeling in his legs and not remembering playing more than 2 minutes. “I would like to tell you [what happened],” Pavelec told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an exclusive interview Saturday. “The last thing I remember was the lights going on after the [national] anthem. I don’t remember anything until I woke up in the ambulance and saw the doctor looking at me.” He underwent full body MRI exams yesterday and will have more test today, with the hope of being released later in the day. I could do more highlights of the article but I recommend reading the article. The Thrashers have recalled Drew MacIntyre to backup Chris Mason while Ondrej Pavelec is out.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Joe Thornton should have a contract extension done with the San Jose Sharks in the next couple weeks. Brad Richards would become really the only star centerman available next summer, that’s saying he doesn’t get a deal done during the season (nothing will happen on that front until the team is sold). Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara’s contract breakdown; 2011-12: $8.5 million 2012-13: $6 million 2013-14: $8 million 2014-15: $7 million 2015-16: $7 million 2016-17: $5 million 2017-18: $4 million. Shea Weber is a year away from becoming a UFA, a RFA after this season, but the Nashville Predators have already started communicating with him their vision in hopes of locking him up long-term.
There are three clear scenarios here:
1. He signs an extension and life is good in Music City.
2. He only does a one-year deal to bridge himself to his UFA year and he can do this by going to salary arbitration next summer.
3. The Preds get nervous they can’t sign him to a long-term extension and put him on the trade block over the summer.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Daniel Alfredsson will play out the remaining 3 years of his contract and hasn’t ruled out the possibility of moving to the front-office afterwards.
- Deb Kaufman Placey via twitter: John Tavares will be re-evaluated on Monday from a mild concussion he suffered in last night’s game.
- New Jersey Devils via twitter: Anton Volchenkov suffered a broken nose after taking a Nicklas Backstrom shot to the face. Tom Gulitti via twitter: Brian Rolston suffered a lower-body injury last night.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Pekka Rinne is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.
- John Haggerty via twitter: Tim Thomas starting for the Bruins today. Mark Recchi is skating with Seguin. Caron is with Bergeron and Wheeler.
- John Shannon via twitter: IF a sale gets done for the Phoenix Coyotes, the arena deal will completed at the same time.
- Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove: Ron MacLean, Eric Francis, Pierre LeBrun & Mike Milbury