Will facts come out in Kovalchuk benching today? Plenty of players not at practice today … New #1 line in Toronto?
- Updated: October 25, 2010
- Greg Brady via twitter: From a Devils insider, Kovalchuk’s benching had nothing to do with his on-ice play. Brady speculates that it might come out today what the real reason was, theory is the he skipped or was late for special teams meeting.
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: David Krejci was absent for the Bruins practice today. Andrew Ference moved up to the #1 defensive pairing with Zdeno Chara now that Johnny Boychuk is out. Dennis Seidenberg is with Mark Stuart. Matt Hunwick is with Adam McQuaid.
- James Murphy of ESPN Boston: In December when Marc Savard and Marco Sturm come off LTIR ($7.5 million combined), the Bruins will have to move out a couple bodies. They currently have $1.8 million in cap space with the 2 on LTIR. It’s been mentioned for awhile that Michael Ryder and his $4 million salary could be on his way out, but they’ll have to move more than that. Marco Strum hasn’t been approached about waiving his no movement clause, and it’s unlikely that he would. Blake Wheeler ($2.2 million) and Matt Hunwich ($1.4 million) are possible trade candidates.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Columbus Blue Jackets left winger Kristian Huselius will not play tonight against the Flyers due to a foot/ankle injury.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: The Pittsburgh Penguins have assigned Eric Tangradi and Andrew Hutchinson to the AHL. So it looks like Aaron Asham and Zbynek Michalek are ready to go.
- Ben Wright via twitter: Peter Mannino has been assigned to the AHL, Ondrej Pavelec has been activated from IR.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Nikolai Kulemin was skating with Tyler Bozak and Phil Kessel at Maple Leafs practice today. Versteeg was with Grabovski and MacArthur.
- Corey Masisak via twitter: Mike Green and Tom Poti are practicing today, Karl Alzner and John Carlson are not. Masisak reports that Poti lasted only 10 minutes at the Capitals practice. Katie Carrera reports that Alzner was excused for personal reasons. Masisak reports that Brooks Laich is playing defense at practice today.
- Allen Panzeri via twitter: Jason Spezza, Filip Kuba, and Pascal Leclaire are not at the Senators practice today.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Missing from the Lightning’s practice today: Simon Gagne (neck), Dominic Moore (lower-body), Brett Clark (wrist), Matt Smaby (illness) and Mattias Ohlund (rest).
- Kevin Oklobzija of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle: Michael Nylander will undergo surgery today for an injury to one of his vertebra in his neck. Nylander was checked into the boards with what appeared to be a legal hit. It could be career ending.
- Genadi Boguslavski via twitter: Eugeni Artiukin is close to joining SKA.