Savard passes baseline test, still weeks away … Maloney says Yandle rumors are “Utter fantasy” … Doughty out this weekend … Tootoo under review (video)
- Updated: October 29, 2010
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Sources have told Strickland that Marc Savard passed his baseline test, but is still weeks away from returning. He’s been skating but hasn’t practiced with the team yet. The Bruins may have told Blake Wheeler’s agent that they won’t be trading him because they like his age and upside. The Bruins have been scouting the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Craig Custance of the Sporting News: Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney on Keith Yandle trade rumors, “Listen, that was just pure, utter fantasy. Keith is an important part of our future. He knows it,” Maloney said. “Not that anybody can’t be traded … But it would have to be something very special.” Maloney did have coffee with Peter Chiarelli in Ottawa which helped spark trade rumors. Maloney spoke with Yandle’s agent in the summer about an extension, but things are on hold until the owner situation has stabilized.
- Helene Elliott of the LA Times: It doesn’t look like Drew Doughty will be returning this weekend, as he had some returning symptoms the other day. After Saturday’s game, they don’t play until next Thursday.
- Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun: Alex Burrows return the Vancouver Canucks lineup is getting closer and it could mean that one of Jeff Tambellini, Peter Schaefer or Guillaume Desbiens could be out. The cap ramifications of Burrows could also impact Ryan Parent ($900,000), though injuries to their blueline complicate that move.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Philadelphia Flyers demoted Nik Zherdev to the 4th line at practice and would not talk to reporters after. Two games ago he was taken off the power-play unit and is averaging about 12 1/2 minutes per game.
- CP in the Globe and Mail: Alex Auld will get the start in net tonight for the Montreal Canadiens. Carey Price will be back between the pipes tomorrow. Andrei Markov will also make his return to the Canadiens lineup on Saturday.
- Joe Haggerty via twitter: Tyler Seguin will not be returned to Junior.
- Helene Elliott via twitter: Wayne Simmonds only played 1 shift in the 3rd after suffering a lower-body injury.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Anaheim Ducks forward Matt Beleskey has been placed on IR after suffering a concussion on Tuesday after being hit by Stephane Robidas, who received a 5-minute boarding penalty and earned a 1 game suspension.
- Fan 960 Audio: Craig Conroy looks back at his career, before his 1,000 game last night.
- I’m sure people have been telling Dion Phaneuf to hit the net more often, but he was showing symptoms of ‘Jason Blake-itis’ last night, shooting pucks into the middle of the chest of the opposing goalies. The next stage of this illness is flutter wrist shots from the side boards at terrible angles.
- Jordan Tootoo’s hit on Carlo Colaiacovo will be looked at the league.