Leafs and Devils talking? Spezza back tomorrow? Howard out this weekend … Would Avs make a pitch for Thomas?
- Updated: October 29, 2010
- James Mirtle via twitter: The Calgary Flames have signed Mark Giordano to a contract extension. Vicki Hall is saying it’s for 5 years. Update: Pierre LeBrun is told it’s $4.02 million a season for 5 years, ($20.1 million total)
- Mike Brophy of SportsNet: Brad Richards will arguably be the top UFA this summer if he doesn’t come to deal with the Dallas Stars beforehand. With the Stars awaiting new ownership from somewhere, it’s unlikely anything would get done until there is someone in place. Brophy has heard that the Devils and Maple Leafs have talked a little. The Devils could use a player like Tomas Kaberle, Leafs would like a top 6 player.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire skated in full gear with the team for 20 minutes before leaving. Jason Spezza stayed on the ice with the team. Mendes added that Spezza confirms that he hopes to play tomorrow, if he thinks he can contribute, he’ll play.
- Craig Custance via twitter: Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard (back spasms) won’t play Saturday and will be re-evaluted on Monday.
- Jonas Siegel of AM640: Kris Versteeg is off to see a doctor about his back bad today, and may get an MRI done according to coach Ron Wilson. If he’s unable to go on Saturday, Luca Caputi will take his spot on the 2nd line again.
- Ian Walker via twitter: Vancouver Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts was back at practice today after tweaking his knee and having a couple days off.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Minnesota Wild coach Todd Richards said that Antti Miettinen has a concussion from the hit he received on Monday from Dustin Brown. Cam Barker who’s missed the last 3 games is ready to return to the lineup. Guillaume Latendresse is out tomorrow.
- Adrian Dater via twitter: Dater wonders if Craig Anderson is out long term, would the Avalanche make a pitch for Bruins goalie Tim Thomas and his $5 million salary?
- TSN staff: TSN is reporting that Buffalo Sabres winger Jason Pominville failed his neuro-psych test. He’d been practicing all week, feeling no effects, and hoped to return tonight. He’s been sent back to Buffalo to meet with doctors.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell will travel with the team but is doubtful to play.
- Nicholas J. Cotsonika of Yahoo! Sports: Cotsonika interview Gary Bettman. Worth checking out.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Ray Emery will put on the pads next week for the first time since his hip surgery that should have, still could, end his hockey career. “Usually when you have this type of thing done, they just want you to walk again,” Emery told ESPN.com. “The doctor was understanding of what I wanted,” Emery said. “I told him that I could care less if I can’t walk in five years, but I want just want to play hockey for five years.”
- James Murphy of ESPN Boston: Retirement may “come sooner than he may have liked or expected” for Bill Guerin, though he hasn’t made a final decision yet.
- Jesse Spector via twitter: Evgeny Grachev will make his NHL debut tonight for the New York Rangers.
- Fan590 Audio: Francois Beauchemin talking about the Leafs, last night’s game, and why he signed with the Leafs.