Trade rumors swirling around the Maple Leafs – Versteeg, MacArthur, Beachemin, Rynnas
- Updated: January 3, 2011
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Sources have told the Dispatch that there have been no discussion involving Francois Beauchemin between Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson and Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Trade rumors are now circling Maple Leafs winger and power play pointman, Kris Versteeg. They weren’t shopping him, but received a “hard offer” that made them pause. They didn’t accept the offer, but let teams know that he could be available.
- Damian Cox of the Toronto Star: The 24 year old, Stanley Cup winner, Kris Versteeg is getting some interest around the league, Cox thinks from the Southeast Division. Clarke MacArthur is a UFA at the end of the season and may get some interest. He’s the team’s leading scorer (29 points) and Cox notes (before last night’s games) the MacArthur would also be the leading scorer on Boston, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, New Jersey, New York Islanders, Ottawa, Phoenix and St. Louis. Francois Beauchemin is also drawing some interest, same with AHL goalie Jussi Rynnas. The Leafs would ideally target a center, 26 years old or younger. Cox speculates on players from the Southeast Division that might intrigue the Leafs: Florida – Stephen Weiss, Tampa – Richard Panik, Carter Ashton and Brett Connolly but they are not centers, Washington – Marcus Johansson, big David Steckel and Mathieu Perreault, Atlanta – Patrice Cormier and Daultan Leveille.
- Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun: Brian Burke did not deny Pierre LeBrun report that the Maple Leafs received an offer for Kris Versteeg, but did say in an email that any deals are not in the serious stage yet. The real trade action may not take place until the Jan. 27th All-Star break as there are also a Board of Governors meeting scheduled.
- Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star: Burke on Versteeg, “We’re not shopping him.”. McGran thinks Burke will hold on to his ‘skilled’ forward and look to move defenseman and goalies as they have more depth at those positions.
- Eric Smith via twitter: There are rumors that the Columbus Blue Jackets have inquired about Francois Beauchemin.
- Matt Bracken of the Maple Leafs Hot Stove: According to a TSN article, Mike Komisarek has a limited no-trade clause. He submits a 12 team list each September as teams he could be moved to.
- Susan Crosby of the Fourth Period: Crosby speculates that the Blues could move Brad Boyes and that the Maple Leafs could be a trade partner. She proposes a Boyes and a prospect for John Mitchell and Tyler Bozak.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks that Beauchemin will end up in San Jose, and that Komisarek is basically untradeable because of his salary, about $2 million overpriced.