Bruins could be fit for Phillips … Kings re-sign Johnson, Doughty update … Injury notes on Semin, Backstrom, DiPietro and more
- Updated: January 9, 2011
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: If the Senators decide to trade Chris Phillips, the Bruins could be a good landing spot for him.
- Rich Hammond of LAKingsInsider: The LA Kings have locked up defenseman Jack Johnson to a 7 year, $30.5 million deal. He has a cap hit of about $4.35 million, he’ll earn $3.5 million for the first 3 seasons, $5 million the final 4. GM Lombardi gives and update on Drew Doughty, who’ll be an RFA at the end of the year,
“We’ve had very kick-the-tire discussions on Drew. Part of it was gauging where his play was. Again, Drew is two or three years younger than Jack, so there is a greater period there of growth. We can let it play out a little. We’re obviously going to sign him, and term is not an issue. Now that Jack is in, it gives us a little reference point. Like I said, we have some flexibility in terms of term, and we’ll start pecking away at that. But it’s hard to do three or four (players) at once, because you get confused as to what the mission is. Jack was committed for seven or eight years, and never wavered from that. It was, `OK, let’s get this done, put it in the bank and go do the other one [Doughty].’ So we’ve got one long-term deal in, and if we have to do the other one short-term, we’ve still got the free-agent rights and we can try again later. But it’s nice to have one in the bank.”
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Alexander Semin had a collision with Steve Bernier in the 2nd period last night, he did not return for the 3rd, and is listed as day-to-day.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Avs defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk was spotted limping after the game and went for X-rays, results should be known sometime today.
- Katie Strang via twitter: Rick DiPietro missed practiced yesterday and his heading back to New York to have his groin strain evaluated.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom will be shut down for a few days with left hip injury. He had surgery on the hip back in 2008-09. Marek Zidlicky will try to rehab his shoulder rather than having surgery. He hopes to be back in 4 to 6 weeks. GM Fletcher isn’t in the market for a replacement right handed Dman.
- The Globe and Mail: Chris Osgood will have his groin injury checked out by a specialist sometime this week, and it might require surgery. The Red Wings will call up Joey MacDonald.
- Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: Pascal Leclaire will not face shots for at least another week with a lower-body injury. Clouston said “It has to do with lower body and back and hips and groin area … it’s not just a pulled groin. I’m not a doctor but … it’s more complicated than that.” When asked if Leclaire could be lost of the season, “I’m not going to say that, I don’t think it’s to that extent,” … “I’m also going to not say it’s not.”
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Ben Eager got a 4 game suspension for his sucker punch on Colby Armstrong.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Tom Kostopoulus waived his right for an in-person meeting with the NHL regarding his hit on Brad Stuart, which might mean at least a 5 game suspension.
- Rich Chere via twitter: The Devils won’t announce a new captain yet, they’ll go with 2 assistants for now.
- Allan Walsh via twitter: Miro Satan signed a deal with the KHL for the remainder of the season.