Sharks targeting defenseman, could they ask about Vokoun? Markov hopes to stay in Montreal … Panthers have plenty that might draw some interest
- Updated: January 16, 2011
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The San Jose Sharks continue to look for defenseman, and they might be interested in Chris Phillips. They could also be interested in Francois Beauchemin and Tomas Kaberle. Though Florida is in contract extension talks with Tomas Vokoun, the Sharks might come calling. Brad Richards isn’t going anywhere for now. Players being shopped by the NJ Devils include Jason Arnott, Dainius Zubrus, and Colin White. If the Devils can’t get a deal done with RFA Zach Parise, he could get an offer sheet by someone after July 1st. The Capitals may be interested in Arnott. The Blue Jackets may still be interested in Sheldon Souray. Kevin Bieksa likely won’t be moved by the Canucks, but they could look to move Mikael Samuelsson and his $2.5 million salary.
- Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette: Andrei Markov hopes that he’s able to re-sign with the Canadiens. Markov is in the final year of 4 year, $23 million deal. There haven’t been any talks yet but Markov’s agent, Don Meehan, isn’t concerned.
- Mike Berardino of the Sun-Sentinel: The Florida Panthers have some pieces that may intrigue other teams. Tomas Vokoun in net, tough guy Darcy Hordichuk, defenseman Bryan McCabe, and forwards Marty Reasoner, Cory Stillman, Radek Dvorak, and Chris Higgins. If anyone wants Rostislav Olesz, he could be had ($11 million for 3 more years).
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Kyle Wellwood could be practicing with the St. Louis Blues on Monday. Confirmation of his KHL buyout should be received soon, and he would be put on waivers shortly after. If he clears, and everything goes as planned, he could be in the lineup on Tuesday. Carlo Colaiacovo took a puck in the face, but isn’t expected to miss much time.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets will find out on Monday at noon if anyone claims Mike Commodore on re-entry waivers.