- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will have microdiscectomy procedure on his back Monday to repair a tear in a disc, he’ll be out 8 to 10 weeks. This should allow Sami Salo to return to the lineup (if he’s able to) before the playoffs with the team having to make a roster move to accommodate his salary. It may also allow the Canucks to add a penalty killer if they put him on LTIR. Keith Ballard’s role should increase. Andrew Alberts and Aaron Rome should return a week to 10 days after the break.
- George Richards of the Miami Herald: The Florida Panthers are getting close to the time they’ll need to decide if they are buyers or sellers. The Panthers don’t have many unmovable contracts, and could look to acquire draft picks and prospects. They have said they would like to re-sign Tomas Vokoun but that could have been done in an attempt to drive up the trade price. Players who might draw some trade interest are Bryan McCabe, Cory Stillman, Chris Higgins and Radek Dvorak. Guys like Stephen Weiss and David Booth might be there for the pickings if the offer is right.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika doesn’t think the Stars will trade anyone off their roster in an attempt to improve it. Heika was asked if he thinks that Brad Richards would stay even without new ownership, “It’s difficult to get into his head. If they win the Cup and don’t have a new owner, he might stay. If they lose in the first round and don’t have a new owner, he might go.”
- Tim Sassone of the Daily Herald: Comments from Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman on the upcoming trade deadlines,
“We’re not saying we’re going to wait a month, if there’s a deal to be made over the next two weeks. Things star to pick up around now, and between now and the next four or five weeks is when it all happens.
“You’re always going to look for depth because we’ve been fortunate and had a good run here with health on the back end. You look around and there are teams that are missing four defensemen. If that happens, we’ve got young kids, but when you’re making a stretch run you can never be too deep on the back end.
“Up front it’s the same thing. You always want to be a little heavier at center if you can. I wouldn’t say that we’re only going to look for that, but if you’re asking me, in a perfect world, you’re looking at depth on defense and up the middle.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Bernstein doesn’t see the LA Kings going after Jason Spezza if he were to become available, Mike Fisher would be a better option.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Drew Doughty deal is coming along slowly, no rush, will get done.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Justin Williams is likely the only UFA that the Kings would re-sign, and if they fall out of the playoffs, they may deal him.