Forsberg to retire today … NY Rangers rumors … Kings have 5 scouts at FLA last night … Plus more
- Updated: February 14, 2011
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Peter Forsberg will be retiring from hockey today after 2 games with the Avalanche. A 2:30 MT press conference has been called.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The Rangers will be looking for defenseman with a heavy shot or a PP QB and a center for Marian Gaborik. The Rangers may look at Bryan McCabe but won’t give up a top pick and top prospect to get him. Same goes for Tomas Kaberle who “is a poor defender hardly worth the price it would cost to get him” according to Brooks. The Rangers won’t be interested in Jason Spezza and Stephen Weiss as they are under contract beyond this season, and they will likely target Brad Richards if he becomes a UFA. They have Washington’s 2nd round pick, and may be interested in sending to New Jersey for Jason Arnott.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Look for there to be a couple deals this week, teams want to make some moves before the deadline.
- George Richards via twitter: Teams scouting the Panthers-Sharks game last night: Kings had 5 scouts, and 1 for Hurricanes, Devils, Senators, Penguins, Canadiens and Blackhawks.
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel: Panthers GM Dale Tallon will not talk contract extensions with any of their UFA’s until after the season, but would consider talking to their RFAs, Keaton Ellerby, Mike Santorelli, Steve Bernier, and Jack Skille. UFA’sChris Higgins, Marty Reasoner, Darcy Hordichuk and Radek Dvorak could get some interest but don’t have a lot of value. Tomas Vokoun, Cory Stillman, and Bryan McCabe are also UFA’s that could bring back higher return.
- James Mirtle via twitter: James Reimer likely to get the start against the Bruins, JS Giguere will go against the Sabres on Wednesday.