Blues likely to be sellers … Only 2 viable players worth Leafs 1st rounder … Brodeur has MCL sprain … Flames looking for Top 6 and D depth
- Updated: February 14, 2011
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: The Blues will need to go on a nice run if they hope to get back into the playoff race. It’s looking more and more likely they will be sellers and not buyers, “We’re not in a position where we can give assets away for a short-term fix,” Armstrong said. Eric Brewer, Ty Conklin, Brad Winchester and Cam Janssen will be UFA’s at the end of the season.
- Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe: If the Bruins were to trade the Maple Leafs 1st round pick, Brad Richards and Zach Bogosian are the only 2 viable players possibly available right now that would be worth it. It would be a surprise if Mark Stuart is still with the Bruins after the deadline. Tomas Kaberle could fit in well with the Bruins, especially on the power play were Mark Recchi has found himself recently.
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: Kevin Bieksa has been subject to lots of rumors this season, but his play this year may have the Canucks thinking of re-signing him. “His high-percentage plays, work ethic and attitude have been team-oriented and he’s been a great model for the younger guys,” said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault. “When he was telling people he wasn’t paying attention to what was going on [trade rumours], I think he really meant it. That’s why he could focus.”
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Thrashers rookie Alexander Burmistrov is out for an unknown period of time with a cracked bone in his foot which he got on Friday after taking a shot from Zach Bogosian.
- Chris Vivlamore via twitter: Scouts at the Thrasher-Hurricanes game yesterday were 2 from the Flames, and 1 from the Islanders and Red Wings.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Martin Brodeur has confirmed he has a MCL sprain. “I think if I wasn’t a goalie it’d be different to get back.” Tom Gulitti via twitter: There is no timetable set for his return. He had a MCL sprain in 2005-06 and missed 6 games.
- David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail: Flames GM Jay Feaster said he’d like to add some a top 6 forward and some defensive depth. Oilers GM Steve Tambellini won’t discuss players but Dustin Penner and Ales Hemsky are rumored to be on move if the price is right. Brian Burke said he doesn’t have any plans to trade Kris Versteeg, but sources say his mind could be changed with the right offer. Kaberle has yet to waive his no-trade clause. Andrei Kostitsyn could be the only roster player the Montreal Canadiens would trade. They are looking for a veteran blueliner and some size upfront. Mikael Samuelsson and Mason Raymond’s play has improved of late so they may stand pat on that front, though if they start struggling again they may look to add a 2nd line winger. 3rd liners Raffi Torres and Manny Malhotra are in big slumps.