Kaberle to Bruins close, B’s looking at secondary deal … Rangers interested in Kuba … ‘Hawks close on minor deal … Habs interested in Klesla and Huselius
- Updated: February 17, 2011
- Darren Dreger of TSN: “It’s unlikely the deal gets done today, but sources say it’s close and say the deal doesn’t hinge on Kaberle signing an extension with the Bruins.” The Bruins are working on another deal to create some cap space. Blake Wheeler and his $2.2 million salary could be moved out and he’s drawing some interest. The Leafs should be both a buyer and seller as they continue to believe they have a shot at the playoffs. The Leafs are expected to talk to Clarke MacArthur’s side to see what it would take to do an extension. Flames GM Jay Feaster would like to add a forward and a defenseman.
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Haggerty the reports that the package the Leafs might be receiving is Blake Wheeler and draft pick. The Bruins are also rumored to be discussing sending Mark Stuart to the Blackhawks for a draft pick.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Brian Burke said reports that Tomas Kaberle is going to the Bruins is not accurate, talking to multiple teams.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: In theory the Bruins could take on salary now and shed the salary in the summer, dealing picks and prospects to get their coveted puck moving defenseman.
- Steve Conroy of the Boston Herald: With the Bruins looking at Tomas Kaberle, Eric Brewer, Ron Hainsey, and Zach Bogosian; Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler could be on their way out. Stuart has been a healthy scratch lately and will be a UFA at the end of the year, Wheeler will be a RFA.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The Rangers are looking for a defenseman, and have some interest in Senators Filip Kuba
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Rumors that Chicago may be close on a minor deal.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Montreal Canadiens are said to have interest in Blue Jackets D Rostislav Klesla and LW Kristian Huselius. The player who might have their interest is puck moving defenseman prospect Yannick Weber.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Canucks GM Mike Gillis said he can only add a $1 million player at the deadline.
- George Richards via twitter: Stephen Weiss suggested he would waive his no-movement clause if the Panthers didn’t want him anymore. He has not talked to management, nor been asked to waive his no-movement clause.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings will get Brad Stuart back tonight, Valtteri Filppula back next week, and possibly Mike Modano in 2 week. These are some of the reasons as to why GM Ken Holland indicated they may not make any trades by the deadline.