Sunday Morning Rumor Round up – Feb. 20th 2011
- Updated: February 20, 2011
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The League is trying to find a local owner for the Atlanta Thrashers, and if they can’t find one in the next 6-8 weeks they could be relocated. Alex Kovalev is getting interest from the Penguins. The Pens were interested in Curtis Glencross before the Flames got hot. The Senators are trying to move Filip Kuba to free up money for re-signing Chris Phillips. The Canadiens are interested in Phillips. The Maple Leafs are looking for a Dman, they kicked tires with Bogosian but there doesn’t seem to be a fit, and they are not interested in Souray. Avalanche GM Greg Sherman said he’s not moving Milan Hejduk. Teams are calling the Thrashers about Zach Bogosian, and they were offered two first-round picks plus a prospect for him, but it wasn’t a ‘true hockey’ deal and they’d like to make the playoffs.
- Ryan Rishaug via twitter: The Capitals and Oilers have had talks regarding Ales Hemsky, but nothing is close. The Oilers have interest in Karl Alzner or John Carlson. The LA Kings have interest in Hemsky or Dustin Penner, preliminary talks only. Oilers would look at Brayden Schenn, Kyle Clifford, etc. The Canadiens have also shown interest in Penner but they are not offering much. There is also a Predators deal for a defenseman, but unlikely.
- Robert Tychkowski of the Edmonton Sun: Oilers GM Steve Tambellini on Sheldon Souray being on re-entry waivers, “In speaking to so many mangers over the last few weeks, recognizing how many people are looking for defencemen, this is an opportunity, I think, for some team, and for Sheldon,” said Tambellini, who has no gut feeling either way.”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: No teams contacted Tambellini saying they were interested in Souray. Two Maple Leafs scouted the Oilers-Canadiens game on Thursday, with Matheson wondering if Burke wants Penner. Lots of teams are looking at Smid.
- Helene Elliott of the LA Times: Kings GM Dean Lombardi did not indicate if he’ll be making an impact move soon. The Kings have looked at Ales Hemsky and Panthers David Booth. If Brad Richards does become available, he’d carry a heavy price. Lombardi isn’t willing to discuss Brayden Schenn in a deal.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: The Predators have been scouting the Oilers, and may have an interest in Ladislav Smid.
- Darren Millard via twitter: Burke tells Millard that he has no interest in Sheldon Souray.
- Terry Frei of the Denver Post: Avalanche forward Milan Hejduk was asked if he’d consider waiving his no trade, “That’s an interesting question,” Hejduk said. “I haven’t thought about it yet. We’ll see what’s going to come in the next whatever it is. . . . I’ve played all my career here, and I would like it to stay that way. We’ll see.”
- Andrew Gross of North Jersey.com: Teams are asking the Rangers about their young players (like Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh) and Sather may not be interested in dealing draft picks.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild won’t be sellers but GM Chuck Fletcher said , “We’re not mortgaging the future.” The Wild probably don’t have the assets (or want to part with them) to add a big scorer. They could use a center with Mikko Koivu’s injury.