Audio and Video rumor reports … Richards won’t return before Deadline Day … Atlanta Division problems and fixes
- Updated: February 24, 2011
- Darren Dreger Audio on Team 990 : (Feb. 24th) Dreger talks Brad Richards, Peter Stastny’s comments, Ottawa Senators, Nik Zherdev, Craig Rivet, Marek Svatos, Ales Hemsky asking price, Andrei Kostitsyn, and John-Michael Liles
- Darren Dreger of TSN: The Leafs are looking for a Dman, but won’t overpay for it. Sens GM Bryan Murray has talked to Chris Phillips’ agent about possible contract extensions, though he could still waive his no-trade clause and be moved out. The Canadiens could have an interest in Bryan McCabe. The Canucks may need to add a 3rd/4th line center. Though there’s interest in Smid, Penner, and Hemsky, nothing is imminent. The Flames may look to add a forward.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Brad Richards hasn’t skated since Feb. 13th and is suffering concussion-like symptoms. GM Nieuwendyk does not expect Richards to play a game before Monday’s trade deadline, and that he’s not shopping him around. “It’s the same answer it has been. Our first priority is to re-sign Brad Richards to a long-term contract. That is what we would like to do,” Nieuwendyk said. “However, we have to be open to any possibility and we have to be open to situation that could improve our team.”
- Jesse Spector of the NY Daily News: The Daily News has learned that the Brad Richards is likely staying in Dallas as the team is said to be buyers and not sellers. If the Stars decide to move him, and he waives his no-trade, the Rangers may not be willing to part with the young players the Stars want in return. The Rangers are more likely to look for low cost veteran rental.
- Tim Seppa (hockey prospectus) on ESPN: Seppa looks at “Problems” and “Fixes” for the Atlantic Division. Philadelphia Flyers: Problem is goaltending, with Tomas Vokoun as a possible fix. Pittsburgh Penguins: Problem with Penguins is the 2nd line center spot and PP due to injuries. Tim Connolly could be an option. New York Rangers: Need 1 or 2 top 6 forwards. Leafs Clarke MacArthur could be an option if they don’t plan on re-signing him. New Jersey Devils: Problem is the lack of a puck moving defenseman. John-Michael Liles could be an option, Lou may need to trade away David Clarkson to clear cap space. New York Islanders: They need to keep stockpiling prospects/picks. Milan Jurcina could be moved out, possibly to Anaheim for Luca Sbisa.
- NHL Sources Say video from Tuesday: “The Hockeycentral panel take a look at a current Oiler and a former Leaf who could be traded before Monday’s deadline.”