Seabrook and Blackhawks close on extension … Wild look at Penner … Waiver notes … Trade deadline video from Van. Sun
- Updated: February 26, 2011
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: “Look for #Panthers Bryan McCabe to be traded to the #Rangers as early as today. McCabe willing to waive no-movement clause.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Brent Seabrook and the Chicago Blackhawks are close to signing a 5 year contract extension believed to be worth just under $30 million.
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun Times: The Chicago Blackhawks waived Nick Boynton, which may mean they are closer to adding a defenseman. Mike Commodore (CBJ) and Craig Rivet (BUF) are on re-entry waivers, and they’ve been linked to Jim Vandermeer (EDM), Ladislav Smid (EDM) and Brett Clark (TB).
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Minnesota Wild have definitely contact the Oilers about Dustin Penner. The Wild are looking to move Chuck Kobesew (Oilers have similar players) and draft picks, but they won’t give up a 2011 1st rounder, and they don’t have a 2nd rounder. Kobesew could be dealt to the Hurricanes who have always liked him. A Wild source said the asking price for Ales Hemsky was “astronomical.” An LA source said that Lombardi is unlikely to make a blockbuster move.
- Helene Elliott of the LA Times: Marco Sturm was placed on waivers yesterday by the LA Kings, but is expected to go unclaimed and could rejoin them today. He was put on waivers to create roster flexibility for Monday’s trade deadline. They are at the max 23 roster players and didn’t want to risk losing one of their younger players. “We have to waive a player now because you cannot do it at the deadline. You need 24 hours,”
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Clarke MacArthur may be looking for a 3 year, $9 million. Burke may be looking for something closer to $2 million, Mikhail Grabovski ($2.9 million) and Nikolai Kulemin ($2.35 million). Burke may be able to get more than a 1st and 3rd he got for Versteeg. They are still focused on the defensive help with John-Michael Liles the leading option, it might take a 2nd round pick. Darren Dreger via twitter: Burke said a defenseman is a higher priority than a forward.
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Thrashers goalie Ondrej Pavelec left last night’s game in the 1st with an undisclosed injury. He stayed on the bench for most of the game, and “was said to be available if something happened to Mason”.
- Nick Cotsoinka via twitter: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford, “If a defenseman came along that made some sense for us, we’d consider that. If not, we’re fine.”
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Nikolai Khabibulin was placed on the IR with an eye injury.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Waiver notes: “Rivet on re-entry; Bernier cleared; Mike Smith cleared; Marco Sturm on waivers; Nick Boynton on waivers; Kris Newbury (NYR) on waivers, Mike Commodore (CBJ) on re-entry, Todd Ford (Wash) on waivers, Wade Belak (Nash) on waivers”
- Vancouver Sun: Cam Cole and Iain MacIntyre discuss the Canucks and the NHL trade deadline.