Blues notes … Huberdeau at #2? Filatov to stay in N.A. … Sharks injuries … Carter to Leafs rumor
- Updated: May 27, 2011
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: The Blues may look to the trade route to add an established forward, and they have three 2nd round picks. The Blues are in talks with Patrick Berglund about a contract extension, and it could be done before another club could sign him to an offer sheet. Rutherford doesn’t see the Blues trading Oshie, though it is possible. Oshie may be popping up in rumors as teams are inquiring about him, not the Blues shopping him. If Ed Jovanovski took a big pay cut from his $6.5 million salary, he might fit the Blues need for a veteran defenseman.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Jonathan Huberdeau’s name is gaining some buzz as a possible pick for the Colorado Avalanche at #2. He’s listed as a center, and the Avs are deep there, but he can play the wing.
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Nikita Filatov shot down rumors that he’s returning to the KHL, said he’s determined to make the NHL with Columbus.
- Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes prospect Oskar Osala tweeted that he’ll be heading to Russia to play in the KHL next season. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford isn’t convince this will happen. Last week Rutherford noted, “I don’t think it would be a good choice for him because we’re calling these players up and if you’re capable, there will be a spot here,” Rutherford said last week. “He’s a big guy. He needs to improve his foot speed. If he can get a half-step (faster), he’s a guy who might have a chance to play here.”
- Brodie Brazil (CSN California) via twitter: Sharks winger Dany Heatley was playing with a broken hand for much of the late regular season, and he twisted his ankle bad in Game 3. Logan Couture broke his nose in Game 3. Joe Thornton’s left pinky tip was not attached to the rest of his finger. Ryane Clowe’s injured should was so bad he couldn’t even put on his own sweater during the Canaucks series. Jason Demers suffered a high ankle sprain in Game 7 versus the Red Wings.
- Ben Raby of CSN Washington: The Capitals could be looking to add a veteran who can kill penalties, win faceoffs and help fill out the 3rd and 4th lines. Possible candidates include unrestricted free agents Scott Nichol (SJ), Marcel Goc (Nash), John Madden (Minn) and Jeff Halpern (Mon) or possible prospects Jay Beagle and Cody Eakin.
- Ryan Bright of Philadelphia Sports Daily: Jeff Carter trade rumors to Toronto are back. Possible trade rumor pieces are one of Toronto two 1st round picks, Carl Gunnarsson and a prospect such as Joe Colborne, Jerry D’Amigo and possibly Nazem Kadri. The Flyers could then flip some or all of the that package to another team for a starting goalie. Goalie possibilities would be Miikka Kiprusoff, Cory Schneider, Jonathan Quick or the rights to Ilya Bryzgalov. Teams that could use a top center are the Leafs, Oilers, Senators, and Coyotes.
← Previous Story Compensation for Signing a NHL Restricted Free Agent