What do you think of Boychuk’s hit on Raymond?

Johnny Boychuk takes Mason Raymond awkwardly into the boards early in last nights game. Raymond didn’t return and was taken to hospital.

Jason Botchford via twitter: The refs told the Canucks that no penalty was called because Raymond lost an edge.

Nick Kypreos via twitter: Kypreos is told that the NHL will not further review the hit. Early speculation is that Raymond will be out 4-6 months with a back/hip injury.

Update: Dan Murphy via twitter: A source close to the Raymond family is saying that he suffered a fractured vertebrae.

What do you think of  the hit? Suspendable? (I think going forward, if you’re going to leave a comment for ‘suspendable’ questions, you should include if you are a fan of one of the teams involved, or if you are impartial. You obviously don’t have to if you don’t want to.)

1. J

June 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Watch the Rome hit again. He never left his feet.

2. Bruins

June 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’m a Bruins fan all the way but I don’t think this was in any way a suspendable hit and at very most is maybe and interference or tripping call. Canucks fans are really starting to reach on this one. In no way is this comparable to the Rome hit. I don’t even know why they would even think the league would review this. It was just an unfortunate injury. I hate the Canucks with a passion because of the embarrassing style of hockey they have shown but I love the way Raymond plays. Plays hard and the right way every shift. Tough luck though. Hope he recovers fast. Now if this was Burrows, I surely would care less.

3. Brant

June 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I think that it should of had a call on the ice of interference or ruffing. he did impede him and then pushed him into the boards tailbone first strong enough to fracture his vertebra. Now according to the last suspension, One of the main factors in a suspension is how badly the person is injured. I believe he should be suspended at least 4 games. since I think the play was as bad and not raymonds fault he got injured. Not to say I wanted Horton to get injured because I don’t but the reason he got injured is because he wasn’t watching and fell badly, not the hit itself.

By the way I am a canucks fan so you can now say I am a whiner and a diver ( just like people were yelling at raymond on the ice) :)

4. Bruce

June 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm

First off – I am a Canucks fan (might as well get that out right away?

Under normal circumstances I would say that the ref did the right thing by putting his whistle away. However the same should have been done for Rome. Therefore either they should call everything or let this stuff go. The problem is that they are calling one team and not the other.

As far a conspiracy theories go….Well the NHL knows that Vancouver will sell out from now to the end of time but that the US market suffers in certain cities. It is in their best interest to keep the cup in the USA from a marketing perspective.
    They cannot tell teams, players or coaches to influence the outcome but they definately can tell the referees. The one sided officiating has been obvious right from the Chicago series through until now.
    I am not saying that the referees caused and 8-1 loss or a 4-0 or a 5-2. But they did have an influence and they are giving the Bruins far too much leeway.

As for the Boston Fans …….. I hope that I do not have to paint all of you with the same brush but I will say that a good portion of the crowd are complete a__holes !! There is no reason to chant and call out a player when he is down and injured. The chants were coming through the TV loud and clear yesterday and I was totally disgusted. I hope you are hanging your heads in shame today when you realize how low you actually sank!

5. Ducks Fan

June 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm

The problem is that the NHL has given a significant suspension for Rome’s hit, and probably will have to give this event a similar judgement. Romes hit was late, but Horton was in complete control, just had his eyes glued to the puck. By the time Boychuk had driven Raymond into the boards the puck was on the opposite side of the ice, and Raymond was not skating, not in control. Actually, both hits need to be removed from the game to keep our players playing.

6. backburner

June 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Suck it up Vancouver fans… you have a right to not like the hit, or the fact that the ref didn’t call it… but your team is just as dirty, if not worse… you dish it out, you have to take it. Every team is guilty of dirty hits this year. It’s a shame no one wants to see Raymond hurt, not an injury like that. You can say the league is inconsistant, but the Canucks are just as bad.

7. Drew

June 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm

To me it looks like Boychuk got his leg and stick between Raymond’s legs in order to spin him around to possibly avoid hitting Raymond from behind?

The hit also looks late as the puck was no where near the two.

I am a canucks fan.

8. Avw

June 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Dirty a play as I have seen in a while clear intent to injure and im a flames fan. Late late late. Puck is played two ful seconds before the hit. Dirty and shamefull to cheer a downed player.

9. Dave

June 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I have watched this hit countless times and what bothers me is the puck is no where near Mason Raymond as he is taken into the boards by Boychuk. In real time this is far later than Rome’s hit on Nathan Horton. Raymond was in a vulverable position in a bent over position, much the same as Horton was with his head down crossing the blue line. In each case a defenseman was only trying to finish his check without the attempt to injury. The precedent was set by Mike Murphy and the NHL with the Horton hit – this is a suspendable offence and Boychuk should get a minimum 4 games based upon the injury to Mason Raymond who is far more seriuosly hurt than Horton

10. cross

June 14, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This is not about which team is dirtier; this is about the same punishment for the same behavior.
    Boychuk does not even attempt to get the puck,. which Raymond DID NOT touch

11. Bruins

June 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m sorry but this is hardly even a hit. Raymond put himself in a very awkward position and the puck clearly goes through as boychuk is pushing Raymond backwards. Obviously the stick between the legs had something to do with it, but in no way was Boychuk trying to hurt Raymond in my opinion. Raymond was going for the puck, Boychuk put a body on him to move him away from the puck and Raymond ended up falling into a vulnerable position. If you want to talk about dirty hits when the player doesn’t have the puck look at the hit on Peverley by Edler. If Edler goes for the puck, it is icing. Instead he decides to charge at Peverley, who doesn’t have the puck, and drill him into the boards. This was called a penalty, but in my eyes is a much more deserving penalty then the so called Boychuk “hit”. Funny how this play isn’t being looked at. Take a look for yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S89o1E_S1I4

12. Kevin Grainger

June 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Boychuck admitts that he heard the Ref Screaming to” let him Up” He continued to hold him down and drive him to the boards.If penalties are assessed by injury, its a four game ban.The NHL won’t review the hit because it is more interested in protecting its refs decissions than protecting the players.I am only shocked that D Sedin didn’t get a penalty for looking at the hit in a funny way.Just like the one he took for pushing his face 6 times against the fist of Marchad.

Was Nuetral now calling for the Canucks in response to the prejudice NHL

13. Bruins

June 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

It is also a joke that this is being compared to the Rome hit. Rome hit Horton in the open ice skating full speed, by a player who cut into him, left his feet, and drilled him 2 seconds after he passed the puck. On the Raymond play, they were hardly skating, while boychuk was slowly directing Raymond towards the board to take him out of the play. Boychuks stick gets in between Raymonds legs causing him to lean forward. Boychuk continues along and Raymond hits the boards, causing his body to bend in a way it shouldn’t. I’m still having a really hard time determining how this is anywhere close to the Rome hit but I guess Canucks fans will find anything to whine about these days. Keep up the diving act. The refs are starting to get sick of it!

14. backburner

June 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Now Gillis will whine about the officials to swing things into his favour… no class.

15. Arthur Pendosa

June 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm

NHL American hockey interests are clearly visible in the utterly pathetic toleration of the Boston Goons cross-check and punch-you-in-the-head after the whistle antics. Not surprising that NHL would far sooner have seen East-West moneymaking confrontation between Goons and Sharks.
    Calgary Flames fan.

16. Kevin Grainger

June 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I agree the hits are not comparable per se.However the point realy revolves around the issue of an serious injury dictating the type/length of penalty impossed.The canucks have already paid the penalty for diving. It is open season for fouls on the canuks the refs won’t call it.The Bruins are a great team.I would not be calling for the Canucks except for the fact that they have had to fight against the NHL/refs throughout the playoffs and I can’t stand that kind of injustice.

17. Briana

June 14, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Boychuk had no right to follow through on the hit as Raymond was in an akward position leaving Raymond vulnerable. This injury could be career ending for Raymond all because of someone’s attempt to injure. It takes extreme force to fracture someone’s vertebrae. The boston fans should hang their heads in shame for cheering about a injured player who easily could have been paralyzed because of Boychuk. Raymond will most likely suffer long term effects from this hit. The police should look into this hit since the NHL seems to not be doing anything to protect Canuck players and boychuk’s intent was to injure Raymond. Boychuk gets to play hockey again, Raymond may never depending on how severe the fracture is. As a former hockey player suffered a similar injury, his life may never be the same. He is at risk for the fracture not healing on its own, requiring surgery, dealing with chronic pain, etc. I hope more than anything that Raymond will get better and play hockey again. Justice needs to be served.

18. bruins

June 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Briana, sorry but you are very wrong here. If you actually watch the play, you will clearly see he did not in anyway move his arms pushing Raymond hard into the boards. They were engaged in a hockey play and momentum carried them into the boards. If you honestly think Boychuk hit Raymond with extra force you should actually what some of his real hits and you will see what happens. This was jst a freak injury. Players are very rarely in the position Raymond was in, bent over. They were both going for the puck, Boychuk attempted a stick lift, his stick went between Raymonds legs as they approached the boards, Raymond lost control and bent forward for balance, and momentum carried them both into the boards bending Raymond in ways he shouldn’t. If you seriously think the cops should become involved you need to get some serious help! But i guess that is always the answer for those of you north of the boarder. If you get beat, call the cops and complain some more. I do hope Raymond gets back to hockey though. He is a very skilled player and plays the game correctly.

19. Oiler

June 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Briana,I have the up most sympathy for Raymond and all the Canucks fans.I hope you can do it.I pray Lou can can do it for you all.However the hit was certainly not with any serious intention to harm.It was a penalty and it wasn’t called on the ice so the NHL won’t rule on it.Since the “Bruins” poster saw fit to make an anti Canadian statement regarding your comment on Police involvement .I will say that even if that wasn’t a misguided notion,it wouldn’t help.In Boston a 21 year old girl and a father holding his 8 year old sons hand were assaulted for wearing Canucks shirts.The Police response was “well you have to understand that emotions are running high here after Rome’s hit on Horton”
    I mean “what The ****. Fans were urinated on in the Stadium ,Spat on and refused to be seated in restaurants.These are the people you dealing south of the border.

20. adam

June 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm

for those of you that dont know travis roy, i do personally, and the fact of the matter is there are worse things, if you dont know who he is you should look him up some time, great kid, and a great player before being paralyzed by having his head hit the lip on the boards. i see nothing wrong with this play, so knowing someone that experienced something worse than this i should have very hard feeling about it but i dont, i know its just a normal hockey play and could have happened to anyone

21. Jay Dell

June 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

The two players were tangled and Boychuk was making sure Raymond didn’t get free and get his stick on the puck.. In hockey it’s called defense. Sorry there was no intent to injure on this play he was just finishing a defensive positional play.. It could have been a penalty but I’ve seen penalties called when a stick hits the side of a Canucks skate also. Fans clapped for him just behind the glass you can see that and I’ve been to countless games in Boston and I can tell you the fans are no more evil than your average hockey fan. Boston historically cheers in support of the injured. The problem is.. he skated off and the severity of injury was not clear.. It was early in a finals game and the crowd was pumped with excitement, if a player gets hurt on the other side are they suppose to take themselves out of a game out of respect? maybe if the guy is laid out like Horton…not the case here… This was timing, positioning, and just bad luck. Boston fans love Canada, we live close enough to 3 Canadian provinces to be considered Canadian ourselves. Cunucks fans spew hatred for not just the Bruins but Americans, America, You are smug and quick to judge. You assume you know more about hockey because you live in Canada. No respect for Boston the third team to jion the league. You ought to be more worried about the lack of class on your team, running their mouths, and lack of effort and execution when it counts. All Boston wanted was a series of hockey both physical and full of speed and skill but we have had to rely on all these from our team only. You should be ashamed of yourselves in this series and your ignorance. You have proven to the world that you are truely not a Canadian hockey town. you don’t posess enough sportsmanship to be recognized as such.

22. Oiler

June 14, 2011 at 7:41 pm

There has been dirty play on both sides, poor sportsmanship from both Teams . The zebras have done a desservice to the Bruins ,by not calling evenly. The Bruins are a good team and don’t need the constant favours dished out to them.Its been a shameful final for Ice Hockey on and off the Ice.The people of Boston Should be proud Thomas and ashamed of their lack of hospitality and aggression to visiting fans.It was safer to be in Iraq than Boston if you were wearing an Canucks shirt.
    Shame on you Boston !

23. Klaus

June 14, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Jay Dell, Vancouver was host to one of the finest Winter Olympics ever! Canada and the USA both had their best Olympics ever with Canada winning the most Gold medals ever by a country and the USA the most medals. Vancouver was a fantastic host city to the world of Winter sports. Vancouver Canucks had over 100 thousand fans on the streets of Vancouver supporting their team (win or loose) and almost 20 thousand people in Rogers Arena, paying $10 each to support Canuck Place Hospice for Children. The Sedin’s give 1.5 million dollars of their salary to support the Children’s Hospital. The team really gives back and it shows. Canucks have the best fans with sellouts for 12 straight years. Win or Loose this team will always be winner to the 2.5 million strong in the Greater Vancouver Area. Boston is also a great team with much history and they are peaking at a great time in the playoffs. This can happen, and has happened many times in the past. Boston finished 7th overall in the NHL, with not one player cracking the top 30 in scoring in the regular season. Vancouver had 3 in the top 15. Vancouver native, Lucic was the top Boston player with 60 points and I think your BC native Recchi was up there as well. Boston Bruins are more of a Canadian team than Vancouver’s. But the Sedin’s and Kesler have adopted Canada and Vancouver as their home. Win or Loose, Vancouver wins, because Lucic and Recchi, if Boston wins, will bring the cup to Vancouver. If Vancouver wins, maybe Boston Native Schneider will drop by with the puck. Vancouver will have nothing to be ashamed of as they had their best season ever winning the Presidents trophy and went to game 7, possibly the winner of the Stanley Cup. We’ll see tomorrow. Sounds like you need to learn a little more about Canada’s Emerald City in the west.

24. Tea Party

June 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm

The Hit Has Good ! No intent,Just unfortunate.I love my team the Bruins but ,I will be surrendering my season tickets this season afterI had to help a young man from Vancouver out of the Garden the other night. He was kicked and punched repeatedly by my fellow supporters and told take that F****
    Jersey off.My Jersey was soaked in his Blood.I traveled to Vancouver for 2 Games and laughed and joked with the locals it was a great welcome and fantastic experience.

25. Klaus

June 14, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Thank you Tea Party. Vancouver have a people from around the world living here, that are friendly & inviting. I have seen fans from NHL cities all over North America that can proudly wear their jerseys in Vancouver, without fear of being trashed or hurt. That is one of the reasons Vancouver was awarded the 2010 Winter Olympics.

26. Jaycee

June 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Should the game be de-roughed; no. Should the roughness be allowed to extend away from the puck; no. When the roughness becomes the (or even a) central feature of the game then people will end up paralysed and good games will end up not being played. If I want to watch violence I can watch any number of fight and wrestling shows. What I want to watch is hockey, not gratuitous violence. Boychuck should be banned, for life, for the off puck check. The message has to be very, very clear: Check all you can to get the puck, but only to get the puck – not to intimidate.

27. JayDell

June 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for your responses. #1: I’ve lived in Boston all my life. Let’s be fair here, Causeway Street and Haymarket Square ? It’s tame and totally fan friendly (unless you don’t look both ways before crossing the street)… I take my kids to countless games and we see different team colors all year long and during playoff runs. I took one of my sons to a Flyers-Bruins game this year my seven year old was in between Boston and Philly fans as they shouted at each other “Taste Great”…”Less Filling”… Even our rival fans running their mouths are generally safe unless they mention somebody’s “mother”… (like cunuck troll comments on our fan pages). If the accounts/experiences by Tea Party and Oiler are real it’s really unfortunate but it’s not typical and no different than any other town. This is ignorance and hatred towards Boston or maybe it’s the Anti-American thing again.. yawn. #2 There are aspects of hockey that are rough it’s part of the game and part of life unless you live in a bubble. Intent to Injure is unacceptable in sports but you cannot avoid injury because the players are pushed to their physical limit. Hockey players are especially susceptible to injury due to the pace and line shifts… Risk increases when a shift is delayed, or a team is under pressure as was the case in the Boychuk/Raymond scenario. In these situations, players often push themselves beyond physical capability and balance, accuracy, even decision making can be compromised in a second or two. These guys are trained to hit… So exhaustion and frustration results in injury more than pre-meditated intent. Intensity and roughness is part of the game.. Now all of a sudden, guys with skating skills or puck handling skills can decide that they are being treated unfairly because someone knocked their stick out of their hands, tapped the side of their skate. A team can’t redefine the way the game is played just because it suits their style of play. What we’re seeing here is the evolution of hockey into golf for the benefit of speed skaters. #3 2011 Boston Bruins are not a “good team”, they are a great team… very underrated by some. You disrespect every team the Bruins made it past with that type of assessment. The Flyers had a playoff let down this year but the Canadiens and Tampa pushed the Bruins to the brink… I’ve heard Vancouver dismissing Chicago and that attitude doesn’t belong in the game… #4 Klaus, “peaking” I don’t see it that way myself. I see a team getting better with experience and stat sheets don’t measure the effectiveness of a team. It’s teamwork, heart, and skills that combine to win championships. #5 Most of us knew Vancouver was a great team especially as far as skills. If you want to assign asterisks to this series and say words like “plagued” it sounds like you may be setting up excuses just in case. Here it is: Bruins are proud to represent their city in a Stanley Cup final. They do not represent Canada or USA any more than Vancouver. They both represent their town… It doesn’t happen nearly enough for us so you won;t taint a Bruins victory if it happens. The Bruins respect the game, they respect the history of the league and they respect their opponents and their fans and they play hard. Most of our fans are real fans just like you and we know the history and appreciate the game Canada has shared with us… But trust that we in Boston have definitely seen the ugly side of this series too and it cannot be written off as hockey passion. Vancouver hockey fans are beyond desperate for credibility. It’s not going to be o.k. to say anything you want and do anything you want to accomplish your hockey legitimacy… The stigma will follow you and will negate any autogrphs on a cup… Let’s face it some of Vancouver’s fans and key players have been pretty disgraceful in this series.. Bruins.. Nah.. not so much… I feel bad for the class guys on the squad and the good fans that are frustrated by the actions of the ignorant.

28. Browny

June 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm

If anyone thinks that hit was good they need to look at themselves. I do admit that there have been dirty plays both ways this series and at times its pretty disgraceful hockey at times but if Rome gets 4 games on the hit on Horton (when Horton forgot hockey rule number 1…. look where ur going not where u passed it) and Horton misses a few games from concussion and Raymonds hit goes unpunished (no puck around players with a full force boarding push)…. well I know ill be pointing my finger at bias NHL members and owners.

Gary Bettman came in 93’….. in ’94 his beloved Islanders beat the Canucks in a highly questionable series.

2011 Jeremy Jacobs team (Owner of the Bruins and also Chairman of the NHL) is doing the same and now one player fights for his career.

Snapped lower Vertebrae means Mason will be out at least a year.

final note: watch the video of the injury…. then listen to the crowd jeering at Raymond on the ice. Stay classy Boston!

29. Anon

June 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love seeing the Canucks fans cry fowl because one of their players got suspended after all the crap they pulled in games 1 & 2, and now Raymond (unfortunately) goes awkwardly into the boards and gets injured, it’s suddenly NHL bias.

If anything it was a trip on the play, but at full speed neither player was capable of stopping and Raymond was on the other end of a tough play, which happens every season to lots of NHL players.

30. JayDell

June 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Boychuck finished the check. they were tangled up. Should have been a penalty. no suspension. Show me on the clip this “full force boarding”. There was nothing but momentum and a bit of a final shove. This is an unfortunate injury from very minor contact… So I watched the clip again as you said.. I’ve seen it 100 times… I’m not seeing intent… just a finished check. Are you watching these games… this was nothing. So what’s with all the conspiracy theories about the NHL… are you serious? you haven’t even lost yet… give it a day until the game is over for the excuses please. now I’ll ask you to look at the clip yourself and find me one fan in the stands that doesn’t look perplexed or concerned… I see mothers, fathers, children in the stand… young girls in bruins shirts looking on .. they all look pretty concerned to me… So a bunch of jerks (probably already drunk) are intent on heckling your team and anticipating yet another dive or taunt.. The canucks have made a mockery of the game in this series previous to this and this has severely damaged the squads overall credibility… Basically ‘the boy that cried wolf”. Raymond seems to be the next act in the dive show… But he’s really hurt… So why doesn’t everyone in the stands figure this out right away? Well, because there was really no noteworthy hit… Face it, it’s a miniscule hit that resulted in a severe injury. Sure the hecklers needed their heads slapped sooner because Raymond eventually seemed to be hurt not faking.. But he also skated off the ice and that also doen’t happen when someone will be out for a year… Why don;t you cut Boston a break.. you’re no classier than our city… As I said… this is just hatred…