Twitter rumors and notes involving: Ryan Smyth and the Oilers, Varlamov, Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Flyers, Sharks and Jagr
- Updated: June 20, 2011
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: LA Kings winger Ryan Smyth would like to return to the Edmonton Oilers.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Senators assistant GM Tim Murray said they haven’t ruled out moving into the top 3, though it could be difficult to do.
- Calgary Flames via twitter: Goaltender Henrik Karlsson signs a 2 year contract worth $1.725 million.
- Slava Malamud via twitter: Semyon Varlamov confirms that the Capitals made him an offer months ago, but it wasn’t good enough. Negotiations are ongoing. KHL showing interest in him. His KHL rights are owned by Lokomotiv, but they can’t afford to make him an offer. Another KHL team is attempting to buy his rights. Lokomotiv will sell Varlamov’s rights if he wants them too. Varlamov says that he will take less money to play of the Capitals.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Leafs GM Brian Burke on trying to trade up in the NHL draft, “We haven’t had any success, but it’s still early. There is still a possibility it might happen.” Sean Fitz-Gerald via twitter: Burke on pre-draft trades, “Right now, I got nothing. Lots of lines in the water, no bites.”
- Michael Traikos via twitter: The Maple Leafs announce that Scott Gordon and Greg Cronin are their new assistants. Keith Acton and Tim Hunter not returning. Greg Brady via twitter: Brady is hearing the Leafs wouldn’t have let Tim Hunter go without Scott Gordon available.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: A source inside the Red Wings tells Strickland that he believes Nicklas Lidstrom will play 2 more seasons.
- Nick Cotsonika via twitter: Red Wings GM Ken Holland says they are looking to be active and have the money to spend. But adds that they won’t spend just to spend.
- Mike Brophy via twitter: Red Wings forward Kris Draper is still waiting to hear if the Wings want him back next year.
- San Jose Sharks via twitter: Sharks GM Doug Wilson says that Jamal Mayers and Scott Nichol won’t be back next season.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said they’ll talk with Ilya Bryzgalov’s side tomorrow.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: From Holmgren’s conference call, he’d like to acquire a 1st or 2nd round pick, would like to re-sign Ville Leino and sign Bryzgalov.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: The Red Wings, Penguins and a few others are in on Jaromir Jagr, Canadiens “not so much anymore.”
- Max Pacioretty via twitter: Pacioretty tweets that he signed a 2 year deal with the Canadiens.