Morning news and rumors involving Ehrhoff, Montador, Oshie, Maple Leafs, Wisniewski, Penguins, Canadiens, Jets and Sens
- Updated: 06/30/2011
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: After the Sabres acquired the rights to Christian Ehrhoff, they sent the rights to Steve Montador to the Blackhawks for a conditional 2012 or 2013 7th round draft pick.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: The Islanders reportedly offered Christian Ehrhoff a 6 year deal worth close to $33 million before his rights were moved on.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: An official announce should come later this morning, but the Blues and TJ Oshie have reached an agreement on a deal, possibly for 1 year.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Maple Leafs have shown interest in UFAs, Brad Richards, Christian Ehrhoff, Scottie Upshall, and Max Talbot.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: On James Wisniewski’s rights being sent to Columbus.
“I called James and his response was ‘Let’s go. We’re going,'” Zito said. “His level of enthusiasm for (Columbus) was pretty high.
“I grabbed a shirt and shoes and flew to Detroit (from Chicago) to meet him last night. Then we flew together to Columbus and got here around midnight. So here we are. I look forward to meeting with the guys and seeing what they’re thinking.”
Both sides are expected to meet around 8:30 this morning. Zito wouldn’t say the term and money they are seeking.
- Rob Rossi and Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Sources are saying the Penguins have offered Jaromir Jagr a 1 year deal worth $2 million. As of last night they still hadn’t heard back from him. The Red Wings and Canadiens have made offers to Jagr as well. Jagr was to land in the US late yesterday afternoon, but after 6 pm, Jagr’s agent Petr Svoboda was not returning messages. The Penguins are about $6 million below the cap, but would like to keep $1.5 million free for in-season moves. Aaron Asham signed last night for 1 year, $775,000. GM Ray Shero still hopes to re-sign Tyler Kennedy and Michael Rupp by Friday.
- Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette: The Montreal Canadiens will have some extra cash to spend tomorrow as Roman Hamrlik rejected their 1 year offer, and James Wisniewski rights were sent to Columbus. After Yannick Weber signed a 2 year deal worth $1.7 million, the Canadiens have 17 players under contract with a cap hit of just over $50 million. They still need to sign Josh Gorges, Ryan White, another forward and a backup goalie. Players that could interest the Canadiens are: Michael Rupp, Tyler Kennedy, Aaron Asham, Ville Leino, Ben Eager, Michael Handzus and Alexei Ponikarovsky.
- Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun: The Winnipeg Jets probably won’t be able to land a big name, but here is a list of players that could fit the mould of someone they might be interested in: Max Talbot, Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Chris Higgins, Jonathan Ericsson, Cody McCormick, Vernon Fiddler, Rick Rypien, Shane Hnidy, Jason Jaffray.
- Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators would like to sign a player who could play on their top 2 lines and a backup goalie.
“There will be a couple of guys we will discuss, and there might be the same type of situation that, after Day 1 or Day 2 or Day 3, the guy that we like hasn’t signed yet and is wondering what’s going to happen with himself, and may be very willing to come to a younger team, that he may feel he has a real good chance to get a good spot and produce.
“We need probably three goalies in the organization. we need a backup here, we need a backup in Binghamton, and we need a fifth guy. So right now, that’s been the talk here between our staff. But we’ve also looked at guys that are young and we think have Top 6 forward potential, but we have to see where it all plays out on Day 1 and Day 2.”