Stamkos announcement could be looming … Flyers will create a trade package … Talbot contract to be restructured … Maple Leafs notes
- Updated: July 5, 2011
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: No offer sheet for Stamkos. “Its believed #Lightning have closed in and formal announcement could be looming.” The last offer was a 5 year deal at $37 million, $7.4 million cap hit.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Though it’s highly doubtful, a source has said the Flyers will put together a trade package if the Lightning think they can’t re-signed Stamkos. Stamkos reportedly turned down a 5 year deal worth $37.5 million. It’s likely the Lightning would be interested in Brayden Schenn, Sergei Bobrovsky, others and picks.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadlephia Inquirer: The Flyers will have to restructure Max Talbot’s 5 year, $9 million contract. The CBA doesn’t allow a salary to drop more then 50% from year-to-year. From Talbot’s 3rd to 4th year his contract went from $2.25 million to $1 million. The Flyers assistant GM Barry Hanrahan said that no fine was forthcoming.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: The Red Wings are still looking for a backup to Jimmy Howard. They are unsure if Chris Osgood (if he doesn’t retire) can stay healthy all year.
“We owe it to ourselves to see what is out there,” said Holland, who will consider bringing Osgood back. “We have money to spend (under the salary the cap). There are players we remain interested in.”
Teams continue to call the Red Wings about possible trades. They had contacted some free agent goalies on Friday, but all wanted to look at other teams as the Howard was the Wings #1 goalie. Ty Conklin remains unsigned.
- Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Pronvince: The salary arbitration filing deadline is today at 5 pm EST, and Jannik Hansen will have to decide if he’s going to go that route.
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: With limited cap space, the Penguins are looking for a role player at a modest price. They might be looking to sign an enforcer on a two way deal.
- Greg Brady via twitter: The Maple Leafs offered Christian Hanson a 2 way deal, he only wants a 1 way deal.
- Michael Traikos via twitter: Brian Burke on Clarke MacArthur: “He’s going to get a big payday in arbitration. We think that’s fair … if it’s too big, we’re re-evaluate it.”
- Michael Traikos via twitter: Burke on RFAs Luke Schenn and Tyler Bozak: “I’m not worried about any of these guys getting done.”
- Michael Traikos via twitter: Burke: “we’re going to sit back and catch our breath now … I don’t like the depth chart being full going into camp.”
- Chris Botta via twitter: Isles GM Garth Snow is looking for 1 forward and 1 defenseman. A trade is most likely for a top defenseman.