Devils prospects to miss camp … Blackhawks notes … Holland wants to talked to Osgood … Stars sale process ongoing … Bruins blueline
- Updated: 07/12/2011
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Mattias Tedenby will miss the NJ Devils prospect camp due to visa problems. Fellow prospect Jacob Josefson said that Tedenby was at the airport on the weekend to head to New Jersey when it was discovered his visa had the wrong birth date. Jon Merrill will also not be prospect camp as he’s taking summer classes.
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman remains hopeful that he can re-sign Chris Campoli and Michael Frolik.
“We’re not there yet, but we’re still talking, which is a good sign,” Bowman said. “We’re trying to look at different options in terms of term and dollar amounts. . . . We’re hopeful it’ll get done.”
Down the middle the Blackhawks are a little thin, but they plan of giving rookie Marcus Kruger more time and also using Patrick Sharp and Frolik at center. Rostislav Olesz, acquired for Brian Campell, will be given every opportunity to prove himself at training camp.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings signed Joey MacDonald to a 2 year deal with the 1st year being 2-way. “I want to talk to Chris,” general manager Ken Holland said. “I want to hear what he has to say.” Osgood is returning from Scotland, so they won’t be able to speak until Wednesday at the earliest. Holland wants to know if Osgood can still play and that he’s recovered from his sports hernia and groin area issues.
“We explored the market on July 1,” Holland said. “We talked to a couple of guys that we thought would be good additions. They went elsewhere. As the market thinned out, we always knew we had Chris Osgood out there.
“We’ve protected ourselves with the signing of Joey MacDonald. Now I want to talk to Chris and make a decision within the next week.”
Ty Conklin still could be an option.
- Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette: The Canadiens shouldn’t rush Josh Gorges back from his major reconstructive surgery if he’s not a 100% when the season starts. Andrei Markov came back a little early last year, but got hurt again and only played 7 games all year. Tom Gagliardi’s exclusive negotiating window to buy the Dallas Stars has expired. 4 or 5 groups have shown interest in buying the team. The Stars lost $15 million last year. The NHL and Tom’s Hick’s creditors are looking for max return while purchasers are looking for a deal.
- Matt Kalman of the Boston Herald: The Bruins have continued adding some organizational depth along their blueline this offseason. Tommy Cross and Dougie Hamilton were paired together at prospect camp, and could be envisioned as their 2nd or 3rd pairing in 2013-14. Joe Haggerty via twitter: Hamilton isn’t expected to make a roster push during training camp this fall.
- Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News: Mike Modano,
“Not really in a rush to make a decision one way or another about what’s going to happen,” he said, “but I’ll probably make an announcement in two or three weeks if I want to play or if that’s it.”