- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: Bruins center Marc Savard is still complaining of headaches according to Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli. Unless things turnaround soon, it doesn’t look like he’ll be at training camp.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Zach Parise said he doesn’t know “one way or the other” if they can reach a deal before their arbitration hearing on Wednesday.
“I think it’s the same,” Parise said. “We’re working on it. We’re trying to get it figured out so we can avoid that.”
- Dan Rosen of NHL.com: After yesterday’s trade, the Devils have about $8.5 million in cap space. Parise comments on his contract:
“I’ve said all along that’s where I want to be, that’s where I want to play so I haven’t planned on anything different,” Parise told NHL.com Thursday night.
“You know what it is, it’s a pretty unique situation and I don’t know,” Parise said. “The whole time I’ve kept the negotiating pretty private, but it does start to get a little nerve-wracking at this time just because so many different things can happen and you just don’t know what direction it’s going to go right now.”
- Chris Botta via twitter: Sources are saying that the Brian Rolston trade was a prelude to another trade that the Islanders are working on. BD Gallof via twitter: About the Islanders rumored interest in Mike Komisarek, the Isles wanted him badly as a free agent. Gallof heard that he didn’t want to play for his hometown due to the added pressure. (and there are less pressures playing in Toronto?)
- Brian Compton via twitter: Compton thinks the Rolston trade should end the Yashin rumors. Andy Strickland via twitter: There is nothing imminent between Alexei Yashin and the Islanders. If they do a deal, it likely wouldn’t be until next week. Brian Compton via twitter: GM Garth Snow on Yashin: “I think I said what I had to say last week. I’m not gonna go down that avenue again.” Craig Custance of the Sporting News: Yashin’s agent thinks there is there is room for him on the Islanders. “As far as I’m concerned, it does not affect what we’re doing with the Islanders,” Gandler told Sporting News on Thursday. Agent Mark Gandler hasn’t spoken to any other NHL teams.
- Brian Compton via twitter: Garth Snow said that Mark Streit “feels great” and is “right on schedule.”
- Katie Strang of Newsday: It looks like Islanders forward Blake Comeau won’t get a deal done before their arbitration hearing next Thursday. Comeau is coming off a 24 goal, 22 assist season where he made $800,000.
- BD Gallof via twitter: Gallof sees the Isles 3rd line as Rolston, Bailey and Nino. Comeau could be used a trade bait for a defenseman.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Rolston said that he basically waived his no-trade clause in December.
- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks could be interested in signing 6′ 5″ forward Brad Winchester.