- Dan Tencer via twitter: The LA Kings have filed a grievance over the health issues of Colin Fraser, who was acquired from the Oilers for Ryan Smyth.
- Mark Everson of the NY Post: The NJ Devils and Zach Parise avoided arbitration and signed a 1 year deal worth $6 million.
“Knowing that nothing was going to get done long-term right now, this gives us a springboard for further negotiations,” general manager Lou Lamoriello said.
“There was no question that [Parise] was going to get a one-year contract, and settling it where both parties feel good about it is a platform to get something longer done,” Lamoriello said.
If Parise isn’t signed to a long-term deal, he’ll become a UFA after this season.
- E.J. Hradek of NHL.com: LA King GM Dean Lombardi on Drew Doughty contract talks,
“I’m fairly confident that we’ll be able to get this done.”
“We’ve been talking,” Lombardi said. “We’re trying to hammer it out, but I don’t think I really have a handle on it yet.”
One of the problems involved is the lack of comparables for Doughty. Dion Phaneuf’s 6 year, $39 million deal could be the best comparable. Shea Weber is still working on a new deal with the Predators. Phaneuf had 54 goals, 105 assists and was a +27 after 243 games. Doughty has 33 goals, 93 assists and a +16 after 239 games. Doughty has better puck skills and skating ability than Phaneuf. It was reported a couple weeks ago that the Kings offered up to 9 years at more than $6.5 million a season. Doughty could become a UFA in 4 years under the current CBA.
- Mike Hieka of the Dallas Morning News: 2 sources have said that Tom Gaglardi and Monarch Investments have sent an offer to the NHL to buy the Dallas Stars. There are over 40 lenders involved and everyone may not get paid as the sale price could be lower than the debt.
“In a traditional sale, you have a seller who is trying to negotiate with a buyer, and you have traditional sale practices. But this isn’t a traditional sale,” said one source. “You have a group of sellers who have different opinions, and that really means you don’t have a seller, per se. Into that vacuum has stepped a lot of lawyers, and that has made the process very complicated.”
Other offers can still be put forth, Gaglardi would have the option to increase his offer or walk away. The NHL allowed at least 4 groups to look at the Stars’ books.
- Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun: Nikolai Zherdev would like to play for the Winnipeg Jets. There hasn’t been any indication if the Jets are interested.
“The weather is not a priority to me,” Zherdev told broadstreethockey.com. “The most important thing is to get a good role on the team, a good coach and a good contract. Everything related to climate and geography doesn’t basically mean anything.
“I don’t know all the details of the situation. The agent does,” said Zherdev. “But I can say that I’m seriously considering all offers from both NHL and KHL.”
- Toronto Sun: Alexei Kovalev has signed a 2 year deal with Atlant Mytischi of the KHL. Brent Sopel signed a 2 year with Metallurg Novokuznetsk of the KHL.