Sharks trade for Sheppard … Pronger likely to miss start of training camp … Savard unlikely to retire
- Updated: August 7, 2011
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: The Sharks have sent a 2013 3rd round pick to the Wild for forward James Sheppard. Sheppard was a 1st round pick of the Wild in 2006, scoring 11 goals and 38 assists in 224 career games for the Wild. He was suspended all of last season by the Wild after suffering a knee injury in an ATV accident. Sheppard had another procedure this summer, and won’t be ready for the start of training camp.
- Chuck Gormley of the Courier Post: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that defenseman Chris Pronger may not be ready for the start of training camp. He is recovering well from back and hand surgery, and has been given permission by doctors to step up his rehab.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: Even if Marc Savard continues to experience post-concussion symptoms, he’s unlikely to retire as he’s still owed $21.05 million.. “If Savvy retires, he would not be entitled to the benefits of the contract,’’ GM Peter Chiarelli said in an email. A more likely scenario would be for him to fail the physical each year and go on LTIR.
- Jim Gintonio of the Arizona Republic: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said that contract negotiations with Kyle Turris and Mikkel Boedker are ongoing and expects to have them signed before training camp.
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Jarkko Ruutu is negotiating with Jokerit in the Finnish League.