Modano retires … Doughty rumors false … Leafs looking at Turris … Richards to play tomorrow … Lombardi and Lamoriello audio
- Updated: 09/22/2011
- Mike Modano on facebook: Modano retires from the NHL. “After a long summer of thinking about my future, I’ve come to the decision that it’s time to retire as a player from the NHL. There’s way too many people to thank here at this time and too much to say, so I have a press conference scheduled for early Friday afternoon. Check back Friday late afternoon for more. What a great ride it’s been!”
- Helene Elliott via twitter: Rumors that Drew Doughty was in Kings GM Dean Lombardi’s office are false. Lombardi was in Phoenix on Tuesday with the split-squad team and wasn’t in the office on Wednesday.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: Cox says that the Maple Leafs may be interested in Coyotes RFA Kyle Turris, especially if Matthew Lombardi doesn’t continue to make progress. There have been some preliminary discussions on the possibility of adding Turris between the teams. Turris’ agent may be the driving force in any discussions that have taken place. Cox thinks it would probably cost Tyler Bozak to get Turris. Bozak carries a $1.5 million cap hit, Turris’ is asking for $3-4 million. According to Coyotes GM Don Maloney, “(His) position is just so illogical from our standpoint.”
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall will be a UFA at seasons end. Kronwall would like to stay in Detroit. GM Ken Holland and Kronwall’s agent have had brief talks on an extension.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Sean Couturier’s entry level deal carries a $1.375 million cap hit, including a $450,000 bonus each year.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said that Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa will likely play in the final 3 preseason games but not before.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers Ben Eager suffered a concussion and some whiplash after colliding with teammate Kirill Tulupov on Sunday. The Oilers sent Tyler Bunz, David Musil, Jeremie Blain and Brandon Davidson back to junior.
- Steve Zipay via twitter: Brad Richards, who’s been bothered by a bad groin, will probably skate today and play tomorrow.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets goalie Mark Dekanich could be out 4 weeks with a high ankle sprain. Portzline notes that it may be a mild injury, high ankle sprains can take months to heal.
- Craig Custance via twitter: UFA goalie Marty Turco says “I’ll be ready if something happens.” Turco is training with the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie.
- Fan 590 Audio: Kings GM Dean Lombardi talks with Darren Millard and Doug MacLean about Drew Doughty.
- Fan 590 Audio: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello talks with Bob McCown and Damien Cox about pre-season hockey and possible rule changes.
← Previous Story Maple Leafs, Bruins, Flames and Blackhawks reduce their camp rosters