Plenty of roster notes on the Flyers, Hartnell trade rumor … Penguins cut 7 … Goalie battle on the Isles … Sestito suspended
- Updated: September 29, 2011
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelpia Inquirer: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said there is a chance the both Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier could make the team. Schenn has an apparent shoulder injury that could play into the decision. Holmgren doesn’t expect to have the roster finalized until 3 p.m. next Wednesday. If Schenn and Couturier do make the team, if will affect Matt Read who’s had an excellent camp. The Flyers could keep Couturier for up to 10 games before sending him back to junior. Couturier carries a $1.3 million cap hit if he remains with the Flyers which may come into play. Schenn has a $3.1 million cap hit.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: Some factors into the Flyers roster decisions are: “Jody Shelley’s suspension, injuries to Brayden Schenn and James van Riemsdyk, competition among Matt Read, Zac Rinaldo and Sean Couturier, whether the Flyers carry 22 or 23 players, the salary cap.” Currently the Flyers have less than $200,000 in cap space. The hot rumor of the day was Scott Hartnell and his $4.2 million cap hit heading to Nashville. A club source said the chances of a trade are “pretty good.” Two club sources are saying that Matt Read made the team. The Flyers will get $1.16 million in cap relief once the season starts and they can put Ian Laperriere on LTIR.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Put on waivers yesterday: McKenna (OTT); Fischmon, Marcinko, Wallace, Reese, Wishart (NYI); J.F. Jacques (ANA), C McDonald, Nick Johnson, R Craig, Munroe (PIT); Alex Henry (MTL).
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The Penguins have reduced their camp roster to 32 after cutting 7 players yesterday. Scott Harrington was returned to junior. Eric Tangradi, Ryan Craig, Nick Johnson, Colin McDonald, Brad Thiessen and Scott Munroe were assigned to the AHL. Johnson, Craig, McDonald and Munroe need to clear waivers.
- Brett Cyrgalis of the NY Post: It’s a 3-way battle on Long Island between Rick DiPietro, Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya. “Are we leaning that way? I’m not going to lie to you, we probably are,” Capuano said. “But we haven’t really determined who plays where and when.”
- Ted Wyman of the Winnipeg Sun: The Jets still have 10 defenseman in camp. The Jets final pre-season game is Friday, and they don’t play again for 9 days.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: Flyers forward Tom Sestito was suspended for 2 pre-season games and 2 regular season games. Sestito cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL.