Predators talking to Rinne and Suter … Maple Leafs working phones … Wings-Kronwall talking … Kadri out 3-4 weeks … Another headshot
- Updated: September 29, 2011
- PIerre LeBrun of ESPN: A Western Conference team was interested in defenseman Bryan McCabe but he wasn’t interested. The Rangers are looking for a defenseman, but not McCabe. Predators GM David Poile met with the agents for both Pekka Rinne and Ryan Suter last week about a contract extension. They are aggressively trying to sign both. Weber can’t do an extension until January 1st. There haven’t been any talks between Drew Doughty and the Kings. LeBrun thinks the Kings will reach out to Newport Sports soon. The Leafs have been working the phones, Carl Gunnarsson and Tyler Bozak have been discussed but nothing is close as of last night. Talks between Niklas Kronwall the Red Wings are underway regarding a contract extension. Dreger is reporting that Kronwall is looking for a long-term, front loaded deal similar to Christian Ehrhoff’s. On front-loaded deals the Sabres have been handing out: “I’m sorry, but that’s killing this industry,” one NHL GM, requesting anonymity, told ESPN.com. “We have to stop those front-loaded contracts in the next system.”
- Steve MacFarlane of the Calgary Herald: Flames captain Jarome Iginla missed practice again but GM Jay Feaster “anticipate he’ll be on the ice by the end of the week.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri will be out 3-4 weeks with a knee injury.
- Jeff Marek via twitter: Jason Arnott is expected to miss 7 days following eye surgery.
- Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette: The Canadiens have been working on their power play, trying to find someone to replace Andrei Markov. “In the absence of Markov, we’re trying to find someone to quarterback our power play on the first unit (and) we’re experimenting with a forward in that position.” Tomas Plekanec and P.K. Subban were on the first unit yesterday. Andrei Kostitsyn and Yannick Weber (switching with Raphael Diaz) were on the second unit.
- Greg Wyshynski of Yahoo! Sports: Christopher Moorhouse was taken into custody by the London Police as the suspect in throwing a banana at Wayne Simmonds during an exhibition game. London’s Police Chief said that Moorhouse “has been charged with engaging in a prohibited activity on a premises under the trespass to property act.” It’s a provincial statute that could result in a fine of “not more than $2,000.”
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: Blackhawks forward Ben Smith took a shoulder to the head from Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith. Ben Smith will undergo more concussion tests today. Viktor Stalberg left the game with a leg injury and Quenneville added it’s “probably not good, either.”