- Edmonton Oilers via twitter: Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid has been cleared for contact. Ben Eager is skating but is still wearing a no-contact jersey. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Smid wants to play in Sunday’s season opener, but the team may tell him it’s okay not to rush back.
“I told Ladi if you miss Game 1 of 82, I’m OK with that,” said Oilers head coach Tom Renney.
“I don’t want something to become chronic. Sometimes you have to protect the players from themselves because they are so anxious to get playing. I appreciate his passion and character. He’ll play a lot. That’s all he needs to know at this time.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Wild’s Eric Nystrom clears waivers. The Avalanche put Kyle Cumiskey on waivers. The Canadiens have put Joe Callahan on waivers with the purpose of signing him to a contract. Michael Russo via twitter: A Nystrom trade is possible, he’ll be assigned to the AHL.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun says that he won’t be starting on Saturday against the Hurricanes, but expects to start on Monday against the Lightning.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Lines from Senators practice: Michalek-Spezza-Filatov. Greening-Zibanejad-Alfredsson. Foligno-Da Costa-Neil. Condra-Smith-Butler.
- Brent Wallace via twitter: Lines from Detroit: Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary; Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen; Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi; Miller-Emmerton-Holmstrom.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Michael Hulsizer may have reached out to IceEdge seeking investment in the purchase of the St. Louis Blues.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Canadiens defenseman Chris Campoli suffered a hamstring injury last night against the Leafs. He’ll have more tests today but could be shorter than first thought.