Betts sent back to Philly … Colaiacovo may have concussion … Malkin out last night … Dumbfounded by Turris … Bouchard suspended 2 games
- Updated: October 10, 2011
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Blair Betts has been sent back to the Flyers after being claimed by the Canadiens last week. The NHL ruled that Betts was damaged goods with a “lower-body injury.”
“While it is clear that both clubs have acted in good faith in this unique situation (waiver claim), I am not prepared to dispute the conclusion of the Montreal club doctors that Mr. Betts was physically unfit to play at the time of the claim,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. “Therefore, it is my decision that, per league bylaws, the appropriate resolution to this matter is to restore the parties to the position they were in prior to the waiver claim on Oct. 5.”
The Flyers put Ian Laperriere on LTIR. The Flyers are at the max of 50 contracts. Sean Couturier won’t count until his 11th game.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Blues defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo has a head injury, and the Blues are treating it like a concussion.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The Rangers have assigned Brendan Bell to the AHL. Defenseman Tim Erixon remains with the team. Jeff Woywitka will practice with the team today.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Johan Hedberg will start for the Devils today against the Hurricanes.
- Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Evgeni Malkin missed last night’s game. Coach Dan Bylsma said it’s not related to the right knee surgery he had last year.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: NHL managers and scouts are dumbfounded by Kyle Turris trying to get a deal for $3 million or $4 million a year.
“Is he trying to force a trade? Does he just not want to play there? Does he not like the style of game (coach) Dave Tippett has and figures he’d be better someplace else?” asked one NHL executive.
Matheson thinks the Oilers should look at Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto. They are without Marc Staal at the moment and aren’t likely to be wanting to trade a defenseman.
- BD Gallof via twitter: Gallof is starting to think that Evgeni Nabokov will be put on waivers eventually. He didn’t have a good preseason, but it would depend on DePietro’s health this month.
- Wild’s Pierre-Marc Bouchard was suspended for 2 games for high-sticking Matt Calvert.