- Vancouver Province: (Editorial, no name attached) The mystery writer suggests the Canucks trade Roberto Luongo straight up for Vincent Lecavalier. Luongo signed a 12 year, $64 million deal in 2009. Lecavalier is on a 11 year, $85 million deal. The Lightning need goaltending and the Canucks need a power forward.
- Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins GM Ray Shero said there is no rush for them to sign winger James Neal to a contract extension.
“We’ll likely wait a little bit,” Shero said of potential extension talks with Neal’s agent, Pat Morris. “He has an agent I’ve dealt with well over the years. When the time comes, we’ll get something done. There’s no doubt in that.”
There have been no talks so far. Neal has a cap hit of $2.875 million. Sidney Crosby skated yesterday but remains uncertain when he’ll return.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets are off to a disappointing 0-5-1 start, partly due to injuries and suspension. Team president Mike Priest have GM Scott Howson and coach Scott Arniel a vote of confidence. James Wisniewski is suspended. Kristian Huselius is out for another month or 2. Jared Boll and his broken thumb are a month away. Jeff Carter is out indefinitely with a broken foot.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: The Jets have shown interest in hosting the 2014 Heritage Classic.
- Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun: Canucks forward Mikael Samuelsson missed last night’s game due to soreness from an off-season hernia/abductor surgery.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Avalanche winger Peter Mueller has been ruled out for Saturday’s game with a head injury. He’s missed the last 3 games. “He’s not feeling well,” Sacco said. “After (Wednesday’s) practice he notified us he wasn’t feeling well. When we get back from our game in Chicago, we’ll see how he is the next day.” Mueller missed last season with post-concussion symptoms.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong is out with a sprained ankle. There is no timetable, but looking at weeks and not months.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Nolan Baumgartner (Van) and Scott Jackson (TB) were put on waivers yesterday. Ivanans (CGY) and Bagnall (MIN) cleared waivers. Baumgartner was on the IR and is healthy, needs to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray missed practiced yesterday but is expected to play tonight. Lines at yesterday’s practice: Morrow-Ribeiro-Ryder, Ott-Benn-Eriksson, Burish-Fiddler-Dvorak/Wandell, Nystrom/Barch-Dowell-Petersen. Defensive pairings: Goligoski-Pardy, Fistric-Robidas, Grossman-Daley.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: ESPNDallas is reporting that Kari Lehtonen will start in net for the Stars tonight. Jonas Hiller will start for the Ducks.