Turris hurting his development … Moves could be happening in Columbus Monday … Lightning had interest in Bernier … Pronger video … Sutton hit
- Updated: October 30, 2011
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Kyle Turris’ agent remains hopeful that he will get an offer sheet. Some league execs believe Turris and his agent Overhardt misplayed the situation. “The only one being hurt by this is the player because it’s hurting his development,” said a league executive speaking on the condition of anonymity. “I don’t know what has gone on there, but I don’t see (Turris) winning.” There were rumors that the Canucks may sign him to an offer sheet, but sources say that isn’t happening.
“Turris hasn’t been shopped around at all,” said the executive. “Any team that has spoken to Maloney has been told he’s not going to be dealt.”
Many believe that Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier could be the next to go. Bob Gainey could be his replacement, Lightning assistant GM Julien Brisebois is another option. The Blue Jackets have been trying to make a trade without much luck. GM Howson has refused to fire coach Scott Arniel, but he may have no choice soon. They are getting calls for defenseman Kris Russell and center Derick Brassard. The Lightning tried to trade for Jonathan Bernier at the draft and there is talk that the Kings may look to move him at some point. The Kings are trying to trade Dustin Penner and his $4.5 million salary. He may get more interest once his salary number goes down.
- Eric Francis of the Calgary Flames: The NHL and NHLPA are looking at some prototype shoulder pads that are more form fitting and not made of hard plastic. The league is also looking into “neck guards, cut-proof underwear, Kevlar socks, longer gloves and wrist guard.” NHL realignment is becoming more complicated than a simple swap of the Jets and a Western Conference team. “The movement now revolves around having teams in four divisions with the playoff playdowns in each division first. Each team would play home and home games against each team outside its division.”
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: Sources are saying that Blue Jackets president Mike Priest has contacted Ken Hitchcock about coming back to coach the team. Former GM Craig Button has also been contacted. GM Scott Howson and/or coach Scott Arniel could be fired on Monday. Other potential coaches/GMs may have been contacted. Button and Hitchcock worked together with the Stars in the 90’s.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Garrioch wonders when the heat will be turned up on Rangers coach John Tortorella.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer is “doubtful” for Ottawa.
- Tim Panaccio of the CSN Philly: Flyers center Danny Briere missed last night’s game due to an upper body injury. It’s not expected that he’ll miss more time.
- AP in the Globe and Mail: Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger is suffering from some blurred vision from the eye drops and doesn’t know when he’ll return.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton will meet with Brendan Shanahan on Monday regarding his hit on Avs Gabriel Landeskog on Friday, and has been suspended for at least tonight’s game.