Crosby out 2 games … Brassard will eventually be traded … Kings injury update … Booth out 4-6 weeks … Will Sutton get suspended?
- Updated: December 8, 2011
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Penguins sent a news release out yesterday that Sidney Crosby will miss the next 2 games. He didn’t feel good after taking a hit on Monday against the Bruins.
“He saw Dr. Micky Collins of UPMC today and took an ImPACT test, which showed no problems. However, we all think it’s best that he sits out the next two games as a precaution,” Pens GM Ray Shero said in a release.
“We’re being cautious and keeping in mind he was off for a long time,’’ Shero later told ESPN.com via text message before a flight Wednesday evening. “Take a step back here and see how he feels in a few days.’’
Michael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets will probably trade Derick Brassard at some point. His career has stalled in Columbus and his agent sounded off on the coaching staff. Brassard has been a healthy scratch for 8 of the last 12 games. His trade value is not high at the moment. His $3.2 million cap hit may look better as the season goes on.
- Pierre LeBrun chat on ESPN: LeBrun thinks if/when the NHL does decide to expand, another Toronto team, Quebec City and Seattle could work. Devils winger Zach Parise is not available for trade at the moment, but that could change later. Bobby Ryan could go back on the trade market if the Ducks continue to struggle. If Parise does become available, the Kings would be interested. Flames GM Jay Feaster wants to blow up the team but he has a dozen no-trade clauses to deal with.
- Rich Hammond of the LA Kings Insider: Kings Alec Martinez is fully cleared and is able to return to the lineup when ever the coaches decide to insert him. Winger Justin Williams status for today is not known, he took a shot off his hand. Willie Mitchell’s status for tonight could be decided this morning. Murray did say that both Martinez and Mitchell won’t return tonight. Center Mike Richards hasn’t skated since last Thursday: Murray said: “Richards is progressing. That’s all I can say. That’s all I know, really. He’s in every day, riding the bike, getting more acclimated, getting exercise and a feel for his own self.’’
- Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun: Canucks winger David Booth sprained his MCL on a knee-on-knee hit from the Avs Kevin Porter, and will be out 4 to 6 weeks. Coach Vigneault confirmed that Roberto Luongo will start in net tonight in Montreal. Bob McKenzie via twitter: Porter has a hearing with Brendan Shanahan today for the hit.
- Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star: Maple Leafs winger Colby Armstrong is about a week away from returning from his high ankle sprain. “I had no clue what it would take,” said Armstrong. “It’s a battle. It’s a lingering bitch of an injury. But as soon as they let me go, I can’t wait to get out.”
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets winger Kristian Huselius will be out weeks with a groin injury. He’s been out 68 of the last 92 Blue Jackets games.
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: Ray Emery will start in net for the Blackhawks against the Islanders.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Martin Brodeur will start in net for the Devils against the Senators.
- Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton could be looking at another suspension after his hit on Hurricanes Alexei Ponikarovsky. Do you think he’ll get suspended? How many games?