Injury notes involving Crosby, Chara, 5 Jets, Michalek, Staal, Stastny, Skinner, Nabokov and Hall
- Updated: December 13, 2011
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins center Sidney Crosby is out indefinitely with recurring symptoms from his concussion. He started getting headaches again after taking an elbow to the head from Bruins forward David Krejci on Dec. 5th. “The next day, after the game, I didn’t feel right,” he said. Further tests showed no serious injury.
“Three or four months ago, I was concerned he might never come back to play because of how long it was taking him to recuperate,” said Dr. Jack Wilberger, chairman of the department of neurosurgery for West Penn Allegheny Health System. “My concerns are further heightened now.” (Wilberger is not on Crosby’s medical team)
Crosby is viewing this like the minor setback he experienced in August.
“It is concerning that he is having symptoms again, but there is a very real possibility that Crosby and those around him are simply being extremely cautious, which is the proper course to take,” Stuart said. “This does not mean his career is in jeopardy.”
- Josh Yohe via twitter: Penguins coach on Dan Bylsma: “It’s frustrating for Sid. Sid knows his body better than anyone else. He’s not feeling 100 percent. He’ll return when he is 100.”
- Josh Rimer via twitter: Rimer was told by a couple people that Crosby is also having left knee trouble.
- Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston: Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara didn’t practice yesterday and is day-to-day. “There’s no time frame when I’m going to be back, but most likely I won’t be playing tomorrow,” Chara said. “Honestly, it’s in a stage where we can’t talk about anything more than 24 hours ahead.
- Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun: Dustin Byfuglien (leg), Ron Hainsey (ankle), Nik Antropov (foot) and Eric Fehr (shoulder) are all questionable for tonight’s game. Defenseman Tobias Enstrom practiced with contact for the 1st time since breaking his collarbone, but he won’t play tonight.
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins defenseman Zbynek Michalek and Brian Strait returned to practice yesterday but won’t be ready for game action this week. Center Jordan Staal is day-to-day with a lower-body injury and it’s not known if he’ll be able to go tonight.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller on forward Jeff Skinner: “As of right now I don’t think we’re going to have him.”
- NY Islanders via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov has been activated from the IR.
- Edmonton Oilers via twitter: Oilers forward Taylor Hall has been cleared for contact.