- Helene Elliott of the LA Times: The LA Kings have fired Terry Murray. John Stevens will be their 23rd head coach, but on an interim basis.
“The challenge for a coach as well as players when you have expectations it’s driven more to results. It’s harder, at times, to look for those victories within losses. That’s just the state of the franchise right now,” Lombardi said from Boston, where he flew Monday to deliver the news to Murray at the team’s hotel.
The Kings are only averaging 2.24 goals per game, even with the additions of Mike Richards and Simon Gagne this summer. Richards is now hurt. Drew Doughty hasn’t put up the offensive numbers yet. Dustin Penner only has 2 goals, Justin Williams with 4. Anze Kopitar has been streaky. The 3rd and 4th lines haven’t established identities.
- Steven Marcus of Newsday: Islanders GM Garth Snow has said he isn’t looking to move any of his 3 goaltenders. He did express some urgency in turning things around for a playoff run. Evgeni Nabokov is getting close to returning from his 2nd groin injury. Rick DiPietro has a similar problem, no timeline on when he’ll be back.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: Tony Granato has lots of ties to the Kings front office. GM Lombardi also likes Darryl Sutter. Lombardi blamed the players for the firing of Murray. One GM on why teams may not be calling a concussion, a ‘concussion’ right away: “That word is so negative right now, teams just want to stay away from it…Behind the scenes, I’m sure these players are getting proper treatment. But every story you hear about concussions is so bad that I think they’re worried about the effect it has on players and media.” Friedman thinks a Oilers may have to send Magnus Paajarvi to the AHL soon. Maple Leafs prospect Nazem Kadri appears to be getting scouted hard, and could become a trade chip soon.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Pagnotta notes that Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is still looking to deal, but he may not have the final say.
- Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune: The Lightning have signed free agent forward Antti Miettinen to a 2 year deal worth $1.5 million per season. He gets a $500,000 signing bonus an a no-movement clause. He must clear waivers first since he appeared in a European league this year.
- Bryan Murray Audio: Senators GM Murray talks about Nikita Filatov heading back to Russia.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Steve Mason will start in net for the Blue Jackets tonight against the Canucks.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Richard Bachman will start in net for the Stars tonight against the Rangers.