- Chemmy of Pension Plan Puppets: XM radio personality, Bill Waters (formerly on AM 640 in Toronto), claimed yesterday that the Maple Leafs and Hurricanes had a trade in place involving Eric Staal, but the deal is on hold because of Brian Burke’s Christmas roster freeze (10 days before the NHL roster freeze). Waters claims the deal will be complete after the roster freeze. Bob McKenzie via twitter: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford: “I have no interest whatsoever in trading Eric Staal or Cam Ward. That’s not going to happen.”
- Allen Walsh via twitter: Walsh spoke with an NHLer that currently has a concussion, who said that one of the reasons there are so many players with concussions is that they are now being diagnosed. Several years ago players would play with concussions, as they didn’t know what they were. Players would play with headaches and dizziness.
- Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes Jeff Skinner and Joni Pitkanen are both out indefinitely after it was confirmed that they both have concussions.
- Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly: Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger met with neurologists yesterday. No update on his status was given, but one should be coming today.
- Tim Pacanccio of CSNPhilly: Flyers forward Brayden Schenn was wearing a no contact jersey yesterday at practice. It was his first full practice since suffering a concussion on Dec. 3rd. He said he’s making progress and feeling better, but still suffers relapses. Schenn is still in a walking boot from his fractured foot when not in skates.
“The test is exercise and if [symptoms] come back, you have to take a step back,” he said. “You hope to keep progressing. When I’m out there I feel good. I can’t really tell until later when I’m laying in bed.”
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Harrington speculates that Ville Leino’s lower-body injury is some sort of knee or foot injury. He’ll be out several weeks. Also out for the Sabres are: Patrick Kaleta (may play Friday), Tyler Myers, Brad Boyes, Nathan Gerbe, Jochen Hecht and Corey Tropp.
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Capitals defenseman Mike Green is expected to join the Capitals in Colorado later this week.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said in a one-on-one interview with The Post. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.”
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Capitals Jay Beagle and Matt Hendricks will travel with the team. Beagle still hasn’t been cleared for contact yet after suffering a concussion on Oct. 13th. Hendricks is still day-to-day with a knee injury, but is getting close. Yesterday’s lines at practice: Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin, Brouwer-Johansson-Halpern, Chimera-Laich-Ward, Eakin/Hendricks-Perreault-Knuble.
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Cory Schneider will start for the Canucks against the Hurricanes. Roberto Luongo will start against the Maple Leafs.