- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild center Mikko Koivu will miss at least Saturday’s game against the Islanders with a leg injury. GM Chuck Fletcher hopes to have Koivu back before Christmas. Devin Setoguchi, Guillaume Latendresse and P-M Bouchard are not at practice as well.
- Scott Burnside of ESPN: Do the Lightning look for a goalie like Evgeni Nabokov to improve their goalie situation, or do they go after a goalie prospect? Jonathan Bernier could be an option. The Capitals may choose to move Michal Neuvirth to open a spot for Braden Holtby. The Wild could move Josh Harding to open a spot for Matt Hackett.
- Vinay Menon of the Toronto Star: Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke isn’t planning on a major overhaul, “We’re looking at fine-tuning now.” Burke added:
“The top-six, bottom-six model is already dead in less than five years. Now it’s a top-eight or top-nine, and bottom-three or four. And speed rules now. It’s all about foot speed.”
“I still think a big team that can skate is going to prevail over a smaller team that can skate. I think the Bruins proved that last year. So I don’t think toughness will ever go out of the game. I don’t think the physical element will ever be diminished.”
- Brian Wilde via twitter: Canadiens center Scott Gomez suffered a setback on Monday. He’ll remain off-ice and there is no timetable on his return.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Senators defensemen Sergei Gonchar and Filip Kuba could be ready for Tuesday. No change on Milan Michalek.
- John Vogl via twitter: Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta “wasn’t feeling well” this morning, missed the morning skate and is questionable for tonight.
- David Alter via twitter: James Reimer will start in net for the Maple Leafs against the Sabres. Jonas Gustavsson will start in net tomorrow.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Richard Bachman will start in net for the Stars against Johan Hedberg and the Devils.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Alex Auld will start in net for the Senators tonight against the Penguins.
- George Richards via twitter: Jose Theodore will start in net for the Panthers against the Flames.