- George Richards via twitter: Any trade rumors involving the Panthers and Kyle Turris are not true. GM Dale Tallon has said he’s done, Christmas roster freeze is set.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren confirms that Chris Pronger’s concussion started with the high stick to the eye he got against Toronto.
- Craig Custance via twitter: The Flyers will gain almost $5 million in salary cap space when Pronger is put on the LTIR. Custance provides some options for the Flyers. 1. Increase the workload for the top four: Kimmo Timonen, Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn and Andrej Meszaros all average over 20 minutes (3 over 22 min.). “They take turns now, one of them usually ends up with 27 or 28 (minutes) every night,” Holmgren said. 2. Start leaning more on youth: They’ve like the way Kevin Marshall and Marc-Andre Bourdon have played, and Erik Gustafsson is about 10 days away. 3. A trade to add depth on defense: As the trade deadline gets closer, the market will clear up. GM Holmgren could call the Hurricanes to see about Joni Pitkanen, Jaroslav Spacek or Tim Gleason. The Senators could move Sergei Gonchar or Filip Kuba. Cody Franson of the Maple Leafs could be an option if he is available. 4. A Blockbuster: Holmgren could be in the mix if the Predators decide to trade one of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber. Brayden Schenn could be part of big deal if it were to happen.
- TSN: Mike Milbury has been charged with assaulting a 12 year old hockey player. Milbury is an assistant coach on his son’s team and “allegedly grabbed, threatened and shook the opposing player .” He has been charge with assault and battery and threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct. Milbury denies the charges and his lawyer released a statement:
“He simply intervened in an altercation between his son and an opposing player,” the statement said. “No one was struck, no one was injured and no one was threatened.”
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Answering readers questions, Dater notes that Paul Stastny could bring back a 1st round pick if they were to deal him. But do the Avs give up on him, and how hard would it be to move his $6.6 million cap hit (2 years left)? He also thinks David Jones could possibly bring back a 1st rounder.
- Rich Hammond via twitter: Mike Richards was to join the team in Detroit and is likely to practice with them on Sunday in Toronto.
- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers have sent forward Magnus Paajarvi to Oklahoma City of the AHL.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: The 3 games Flyers forward Matt Read missed in November were due to a concussion.