- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The asking price for either Bobby Ryan or Ryan Getzlaf will be huge. A league executive said they want 2 high-end prospects and 2 1st round draft picks. For the Maple Leafs it would likely cost Joe Colborne and Nazem Kadri plus the draft picks. Garrioch thinks that Getzlaf makes more sense for the Leafs, but not to be surprised if they trade for Ryan. Many people are waiting to see what ball falls first, Blue GM Scott Howson, coach Scott Arniel or Rick Nash. Many think it’s time to ask Rick Nash to waive his no movement clause. There have been no talks between Hal Gill and the Canadiens, and he’ll likely be dealt by the trade deadline. The Blues are looking for help along the blueline. The Lightning are looking for a goaltender. Though it’s being denied by the Sharks, they are willing to discuss Antti Niemi or Antero Niittymaki. Jonathan Bernier could be an option for the Lightning, as well as Wild Josh Harding. They’ve spoken to the Canucks about Cory Schneider but he isn’t going anywhere. Islanders center Frans Nielsen will be a UFA at the end of the season and could be looking for more than $3 million a season. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is shopping all of his UFAs: C Tuomo Ruutu, LW Alexei Ponikarovsky, D Bryan Allen, D Jaroslav Spacek and D Tim Gleason. They were also looking to move Joni Pitkanen before he had knee surgery. The Sharks may have interest in Gleason or Spacek. Look for Bob Hartley to be the coach of the Flames next year. The Blue Jackets are trying to trade Antoine Vermette and the Oilers are still trying to trade Ales Hemsky.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is not looking for “short-term, quick fixes.”
“If we do anything, preferably it would be something that makes sense for at least a couple years,” he said Friday. “We have a lot of [prospects] coming that I think will be able to play. It’s exciting what we’re trying to grow here, so I don’t think I’m in a hurry to dismantle a lot of what we’re trying to build. But you look at everything.”
The Wild would likely be interested in Zach Parise, but more during free agency than through trade. The Wild have lots of defenseman and are rich in goaltending.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson injured his hand during the 1st period and didn’t return. His status will be updated today.
- Rich Hammond of the LA Kings Insider: Kings forward Dustin Penner is out with a back injury and it’s not known when he’ll return.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers Jordan Eberle injured his right knee in the first period last night and will be evaluated on Monday.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals defenseman Mike Green didn’t finish last night’s game as he was experiencing tightness in his groin.
- Calgary Herald: The Flames now have 8 players injured with Brendan Morrison and Scott Hannan going down with an injury. Defenseman Mark Giordano shot pucks during their morning skate. When he’ll return from his hamstring tear is still not known.
- Link to Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove: The Panel discussed the Players reaction to the NHL’s new league alignment proposal.