Flyers – Leafs rumors … Sens could be buyers … Flyers like Suter … Backstrom to IR … Zajac shut down … Starting goalies
- Updated: January 11, 2012
- Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: Flyers Don Luce (Director of Player Development) was seen scouting the Maple Leafs for the 3rd time in as many weeks. Cue the trade speculation. The Flyers are in the market for a defenseman, a position the Leafs have some depth. Luke Schenn has seen his minutes decrease this year to 16:36 from 22:22 last year. Luke carries a $3.6 million cap hit and has 4 years remaining after this season. Cody Franson would also be an option, and would be cheaper. Chirs Botta via twitter: Botta mentions Brayden to Toronto. Dustin Leed via twitter: Leed doesn’t see a Schenn for Schenn deal happening.
- Pierre LeBruna and Scott Burnside of ESPN: Senators GM Bryan Murray said this morning that he’d look to add at the trade deadline if they continue to play well. “Yes, if we continue to get wins over the next month or so, you want to give your players the best chance you can,” Murray said. They will still focus on the long-term stability and building through youth. “We’d probably be looking for a forward,” Murray said. LeBrun spoke with Predators defenseman Ryan Suter’s agent yesterday who said things are status quo. The Flyers have Suter as their #1 target if he becomes available.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: The Capitals have put Nicklas Backstrom on the IR to make room for call-up Tomas Kundratek. Backstrom can be taken off the IR at any point. Tarik El-Bashir via twitter: Capitals coach Dale Hunter said there is no timetable on Backstrom and Mike Green.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Penguins put Steve MacIntyre on waivers.
- Katie Strang via twitter: Islanders defenseman Calvin de Haan will be out for 4 to 6 weeks with a left shoulder injury.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: The Devils have shut Travis Zajac down for 2 weeks due to his Achilles issue.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Blues forward Alex Steen (concussion) skated today.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner is ready for contact at today’s practice.
- Allen Panzeri via twitter: Craig Anderson will start in net for the Senators against the Rangers. Erik Karlsson didn’t practice today but is expected to play.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Johan Hedberg will start in net for the Devils against the Oilers.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start in net for the Capitals against the Penguins.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Ray Emery will start in net for the Blackhawks tonight.