Sens could be buyers … Flyers like Suter and Schenn … Red Wings eye Parise … Oils like Ellis … Green out 4-6 weeks … Ribeiro to IR
- Updated: 01/17/2012
- James Gordon of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk:
“If we continue on our road and we’re healthy, we’ll certainly look at doing something prior to the trade deadline and, at the very least, we’ll be looking at doing something.
“But a lot also has to do with not screwing around with a good thing,” he said, noting the players are pleased with their current situation.
“But if they are behind it, this is the one time you let the players speak and they’ll tell you in a heartbeat, yeah, we need this and we need that and that’s it.”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: (mailbag) Oilers forward Ben Eager could get some interest at the trade deadline. He has 2 years left on his deal at $1.1 million.
- Brian Hedger via twitter: Frustrated Sabres goalie Ryan Miller: “We’ve got to find it from in here. We can’t sit and wait for somebody else to (bleeping) do it.” and “Do you guys really think there’s any kind of trade made … that’s going to affect this team any more than we can affect it … ?”
- Sportsnet.ca: According to a report from Bruce Garrioch, if the Blue Jackets decide to replace GM Scott Howson, former Maple Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr. is a possible replacement.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Flyers continue to monitor Predators defenseman Ryan Suter. James van Riemsdyk could have been a piece, but he is currently out with a concussion. He has a muscle tear in his abdomen and has a hip that will require surgery this offseason. Would the Flyers consider moving Brayden Schenn as Sean Couturier may have passed him on the depth chart? They have their 1st round pick in play and possibly blueline prospect Marc-Andre Bourdon. A condition on a Suter deal would be for him to sign a long-term deal before July 1st. The Flyers like a Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk deal if they can’t land Suter. His concussion could put things on hold for now. The Lightning won’t be buyers at the deadline, but they’ll be taking offers on UFAs like Dominic Moore. GM Yzerman won’t look for a goalie now, and may wait for the offseaon and look at Josh Harding, Jonathan Bernier or Cory Schneider. Matheson says the Red Wings could be interested in Zach Parise this summer. They have the cap space to offer him a 5 year deal at a $8.25 million cap hit. The Penguins could use a guy like Tuomu Ruutu. The Oilers would love to get Predators dman Ryan Ellis. The Preds would be willing to move Jonathan Blue as he’s fallen out of favor.
- Lindsay Applebaum of the Washington Post: Capitals defenseman will be out 4 to 6 weeks as he will undergo abdominal surgery. He’ll have the surgery today to hopefully repair damage from his now-chronic groin issue.
- Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Sidney Crosby said late last week that he is still experiencing some trouble with motion and balance, will see a concussion specialist in chiropractic neurology. Crosby didn’t suffer any setbacks after skating on Friday and Saturday.
- Dallas Morning News: The Stars have put center Mike Ribeiro on the IR with a lower body injury.
- Rich Hammond of the LA Kings Insider: There is no update on Kings winger Simon Gagne. He’s been out since Dec. 26th with a concussion. He is not doing any hockey activity, nor is he with the team.
- George Richards via twitter: Panthers goalie Jose Theodore should be back this week on the road.