Preds want to talk, Weber doesn’t … Miller wants to stay, other Sabres on the Block … Smyth getting interest … New Leafs lines … Glencross out
- Updated: January 18, 2012
- Dave Lozo via twitter: Predators defenseman Shea Weber has said the Predators want to talk but he doesn’t want to during the season. Weber added: “It’s a place I love to play. If we can keep guys around and keep getting better, then it’s a place I want to stay.”
- James Duthie via twitter: Ryan Miller: “I have not and will not ask for a trade. I will fall on the ‘sabre’ before that. Please no one ask me again.”
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Pierre McGuire said that one Eastern Conference team as “significant” interest in Oilers Ryan Smyth. If the Oilers get a good deal for Smyth, they could trade him at the deadline and re-sign him in the offseason. In the end, it would be up to Smyth if he want to be moved.
- David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: Staples wonders if Sabres underachieving forward Drew Stafford would look good in an Oilers uniform. Reports from Pierre LeBrun have Stafford, Derek Roy and Brad Boyes on the trading block.
“[A trade] will be the next move for the Buffalo Sabres if Darcy Regier has his way. I’ve talked to other teams around the league over the last week. Regier is doing his homework. He’s talking trade with teams. What he’d like to do is move a top 6 forward in return for a top 6 forward. Easier said than done. Drew Stafford, Derek Roy, Brad Boyes – those are names that I’ve been told are in play for the Buffalo Sabres. Not every team in the league is going to want to move a top 6 for a top 6, but that’s what he’s trying to do.”
- The Fourth Period: The Oilers have been scouting the Maple Leafs lately. It’s believed that Leafs GM Brian Burke has interest in Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky.
- George Richards via twitter: Ed Jovanovski has had surgery on his broken hand and will be out up to 2 months.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Capitals GM George McPhee didn’t rule Nicklas Backstrom returning before the All-Star game.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Blackhawks have put Brett McLean on $125 unconditional waivers so that he can play in Europe. The Avalanche have put Brandon Yip on waivers.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: New Leafs lines: Lombardi-Bozak-Kessel. MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin. Lupul-Connolly-Kadri. Crabb-Steckel-Brown. New defensive pairings: Phaneuf-Schenn. Gunnarsson-Komisarek. Gardiner-Franson. Aulie. Mark Masters via twitter: Colby Armstrong and John-Michael Liles stayed out for the entire practice.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman (concussion) has begun light workouts and is skating.
- Vicki Hall via twitter: Flames forward Curtis Glencross his heading back to Calgary to have his knee evaluated.
- George Richards via twitter: Jose Theodore will start in net for the Panthers against JS Giguere and the Avalanche.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Jonas Hiller will start in net for the Ducks against Mike Smith and the Coyotes.