Oilers would listen to Khabibulin offers … Round up of what some teams are looking for … Could Visnovsky be on the move? Glencross out 6 weeks
- Updated: January 21, 2012
- Darren Dreger of TSN: (mailbag) The Oilers would listen to offers on Nikolai Khabibulin (39). He has 1 year left at $3.75 million. They would need to get a goalie back if they dealt him. Hard to see the Oilers and Canucks doing a deal for Schneider. If the Oilers made it a big deal that included Ales Hemsky, a Jonathan Bernier deal could make some sense. The Flames are still looking to improve this year, and can use some of their upcoming UFAs for help. The Blue Jackets could dangle Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette and Derick Brassard. Rick Nash’s name will come up at the deadline. The Capitals are expecting Mike Green to return just before the trade deadline.
- Jason Brough of ProHockey Talk: Brough thinks that if the Blue Jackets were to trade Jeff Carter, it’s more likely to happen in the summer, maybe by a new GM. Would he get a package equal to what he gave up for him now? It cost them their 2011 8th overall pick, which turned out to be Sean Couturier, Jakob Voracek and a 3rd rounder. Carter is under contract until 2022 with a $5.3 million cap hit. The Maple Leafs have been looking for a 1st line center. The Rangers could use some scoring help. The Kings could also use some additional scoring, reuniting him with Mike Richards.
- Kevin Allen of the Toronto Star: Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke thinks it will be a busy trade deadline, but Burke hope to make moves beforehand as he’s “never liked the price tag at the deadline.” The Predators are looking for offensive help, and GM David Poile could deal Ryan Suter if they can’t re-sign him. The Sabres have to look at a roster shake-up. They could use a top-line center, and Drew Stafford could be bait. The Coyotes could use some help up front. The Wild are looking for some offensive help. The Oilers could trade UFAs Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth. The Flyers should be looking for a veteran blueliner. The Senators could use some more scoring help up front. The Ducks have Jason Blake heading to free agency. The Blue Jackets have Vinny Prospal and Samuel Pahlsson who’ll draw some interest. The Hurricanes will get interest in Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: LeBrun thinks that Beauchemin’s contract extension further raises the possibility that Lubomir Visnovsky could be dealt at the trade deadline.
- Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider: Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier is under contract until 2012-13, but will the Kings trade him before then? Many teams regard him as a future #1 goalie. But is he playing enough to generate a strong offer? He’s on pace to play in 15 games.
- Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun: Flames winger Curtis Glencross has an MCL injury and will be out at least 6 weeks.