Rumors involving the Oilers … List of forwards that could be available … Ovie, Michalek have hearings … Rangers need Dman … Benn to IR
- Updated: January 23, 2012
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers are taking calls for Ales Hemsky as half the league is looking for a top 6 forward. The Oilers need a puck moving defenseman more than a draft pick. It’s unlikely the Predators would give up Ryan Ellis for Hemsky. One scout thinks the Predators would rather have Ryan Smyth over Hemsky, but Smyth likely won’t waive his no-trade clause at the deadline. The Senators are a wild card for Hemsky. The Oilers have liked Drew Stafford. Matheson wonders if the Kings would be interested in a Jonathan Bernier for Magnus Paajarvi deal this summer. The Blackhawks might take a look at Chris Campoli for their 4-5 hole that they are looking to fill. The Predators may look at taking offers for backup Anders Lindback this summer.
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Molinari lists some ‘rental’ players that could be available this year: Jason Blake (Ana), Josh Green (Edm), Nicklas Hagman (Ana), Adam Hall (TB), Ales Hemsky (Edm), Kristian Huselius (CBJ), Saku Koivu (Ana), Dominic Moore (TB), Frans Nielsen (NYI), Samuel Pahlsson (Ana), Jay Pandolfo (NYI), P.A. Parenteau (NYI), George Parros (Ana), Vinny Prospal (CBJ), Tuomo Ruutu (Car), Teemu Selanne (Ana) and Ryan Smyth (Edm).
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Capitals Alex Ovechkin will have a hearing today for his high hit on Michalek. Penguins Zbynek Michalek will have a hearing today for his elbow on Hendricks.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Rangers GM Glen Sather needs to add a defenseman that can handle big minutes down the stretch. They’ve always liked Hurricanes defenseman Tim Gleason. Stars Sheldon Souray is an interesting option given his ability on the power play, but there are questions about his ability to defend. Ryan Suter is a possibility if he becomes available and if they want to go that direction.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika wonders if the Stars may have to consider moving Stephane Robidas, Brenden Morrow or Nicklas Grossman to create roster room for younger players. Heika doesn’t think so, as it sends a message that they are giving up this year. If they fall out of the race though, they may do something.
- Dallas Stars via twitter: The Stars have placed Jamie Benn on the IR and recalled Matt Fraser.
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: More will be known about Jonathan Toews injury after practice today. The Blackhawks have only 1 game before the All-Star break.
- Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets Dustin Byfuglien and Evander Kane didn’t accompany the team to Carolina for tonight’s game. They play the Rangers on Tuesday in NY. Byfuglien and Kane are not expected to play until after the All-Star break.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger could play tonight after missing the last 5 games with a concussion. Predators defenseman Ryan Suter is expected to be back after missing 3 games with an upper-body injury.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Recently signed Brett Lebda will make his debut tonight, and will be on the top pairing with Fedor Tyutin.
- David Alter via twitter: Leafs lines at yesterday’s practice: Lupul-Bozak-Kessel, Crabb-Grabo-Kulie, Lombardi-Connolly-Kadri, MacArthur-Steckel-Brown, x Rosehill,Armstrong,Boyce.